The End is Nigh - World’s Whitest Beach Tour - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2023

The End is Nigh

Trains ‘n Bikes and no Planes

After reaching the main goal of the tour, the white sands of Jervis Bay, the riding part of this short, unepic tour was probably almost done two days ago. I’d then turned north and reached scenic seaside town of Kiama by pedalling and a local train. How to return home from there?

Serendipity intervened. My daughter, who also lives in Canberra, had accepted, at short notice, an offer to look after the house and pets of a friend in a town very near Kiama for the weekend.  So she’s able to give me and my bike a lift back to Canberra tomorrow (Sunday). 

What to do today then?

Of course. Jump on another CityRail service to Sydney (only 90 minutes away) and visit my son. I can stay at his place, and catch another train tomorrow to the Southern Highlands where my daughter will be able collect me.

The plan worked almost flawlessly. The only slight hiccup was that railway line maintenance cancelled some of the train service, which was transferred onto a bus. Thankfully the railway bus had plenty of space for the bike in the luggage hold.

Today’s travel  comprised of a train trip, a bus trip, another train trip and some local pedalling. Plus dinner out with my son at a tasty Indonesia restaurant, The Sambal.

It’s been a fun day.

The Kiama Pub room was bike friendly.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The City Rail service from Kiama has hanging space for bikes
Heart 3 Comment 0
An elegant memorial to those who died in war
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rail bus was also bike friendly
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back on the train after the bus interlude
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pedalled to my son’s front doorstep in Sydney
Heart 2 Comment 0
Son Joe has taken up ceramics as a hobby. He’s made lovely gifts for family members. For some reason, mine has this image glazed on it.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 299 km (186 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0