Ride ‘n Train - World’s Whitest Beach Tour - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2023

Ride ‘n Train

Jervis Bay to Kiama by bike & rail

Today began with one of those wonderful post-rain sunrises over Jervis Bay. There was a wild storm last night which left the air very clear and me pleased I’d chosen to stay in a motel rather than my tent.

An 8am start saw me pedalling through Huskisson and then onto Jervis Bay Rd which was a mistake. The morning traffic was unpleasantly heavy, and the road has quite a few shoulderless sections. Woollamia Road might have been a better choice of a route to reach the Princes Highway which does have a reasonable shoulder lane. There were even some lengths of bike path entering South Nowra.

By mid morning I arrived in Nowra and pedalled to the old town centre by backstreets and paths to avoid the last section of Princes Hwy into town which is not bicycle friendly.

After coffee and a snack I crossed the Shoalhaven River (via a grand new bridge) to Bomaderry which is the terminus for the Sydney CityRail southern line.

Good luck. I was in time to board a commuter train to Kiama, and thus avoid an unpleasant part of highway which I’ve cycle-toured a few times before. Even the coastal backroad is unpleasantly busy and shoulderless. 

So all good. I was in coastal Kiama by 2pm, found pub accommodation, unloaded the panniers and explored the area on the unloaded bike. A very easy, unepic ride day except the for the Jervis Bay Road heavy traffic section. That was a bit epic.

A highlight of Kiama was seeing whales very close inshore.

Sunrise across Jervis Bay
Heart 4 Comment 0
Classic cinema building in Huskisson
Heart 1 Comment 0
Curious emu
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dogs galore
Heart 2 Comment 0
A welcome section of path into South Nowra
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nowra paths. Hard to find, but they do exist.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The new bridge linking Nowra to Bomaderry
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Shoalhaven River which I crossed at Warri Bridge a few days ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
HMAS Melbourne anchor. Memorial to a maritime catastrophe which occurred near here
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eye catching art in the Bomaderry Station
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rolling to Kiama the safe way
Heart 3 Comment 0
Car spotting in Kiama
Heart 2 Comment 0
Home for tonight
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kiama coast
Heart 2 Comment 0
The famous blowhole
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ocean baths
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 289 km (179 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0