It’s Been a While - World’s Whitest Beach Tour - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2023

It’s Been a While

An Unepic Return to Cycle Touring

BACK IN THE SADDLE

It’s several years since I’ve been on a cycle tour. That was a long, challenging tour of about 3,800 km across Australia from east to west which took 42 days of cycling almost 90+ km per day in semi arid regions on roads shared with some of the biggest road trains in the world. Some would say it was an epic ride. 

This next tour will be almost the total opposite experience to that previous tour. I’ll pedal east and pedal not very far. And I’ll choose roads which have very light traffic, no road trains and which pass through relatively verdant countryside. It will be the opposite to an epic tour. 

I’m not exactly sure yet where I’ll finish this very easy tour, but it be a short tour and it will include at least one day on the beach which locals claim has the whitest sand in the world.

Tomorrow, Monday, I’ll pack my bike, a 26” wheeled Thorn Sherpa. 

The following day, Tuesday, I’ll start pedalling.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Mark BinghamLooking forward to reading about it!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesSometimes epic is over rated.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Graham SmithTo Mark BinghamThanks Mark. This ride will barely rate as a ‘tour’. It’ll be more like an easy jaunt through the countryside with panniers on the bike.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Graham SmithTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI agree Steve. There’s a fine line between ‘epic’ and ‘foolhardy’.
This ride is intended to be neither. It should be very easy and enjoyable. One to clear out the cobwebs, and improve ride fitness in preparation for a tour in NZ in November.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenI love easy and enjoyable. Getting too old for anything else. Looking forward to reading about it, and to reading about NZ in November.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Graham SmithTo Kathleen ClassenThanks Kathleen. Day 1 was very unepic and very enjoyable. The superb weather helped greatly.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago