A spectacular day of riding - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2023

A spectacular day of riding

We love travelling and cycling in Japan. The rewards are immense. Riding our trikes have given us the chance to get to know Japan, its people and their customs in an intimate way.  We will definitely return to Japan with our trikes. It has become a favourite place to travel.
However, having  travelled extensively in Europe by bike, we have been spoiled by the infrastructure that is in place. All types of accommodation understand cyclists and their needs (and that of their bikes) and this is built in to their services. There is a massive network of bike routes, repair stations etc. As well, communities  incorporate the needs of cyclists in to their town planning with dedicated routes for cyclists, etc.

Barry’s frustration with some of the dangerous rides we have had, has motivated him to learn how to create our own routes on the Ride with GPS app and also to use routes from Bike Map. We are in search of hidden Japan, off the  beaten path.Today we will try a route he has created on Ride with GPS  which takes us initially up into the hills on a steep unrelenting climb and the rest of the day we will be coasting downhill, all the way to Kusutsa on Lake Biwa.

The ride starts beautifully on narrow roads with lovely neighbourhoods like this. The only drawback is that the first 13 km will be straight up to 500 metres. Here goes…
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steps leading to a shrine by the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The area we are riding through have mostly traditional homes and farms…very picturesque.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We felt like we were the only people on the road, and we met two riders coming down. They are from Brazil but have worked and lived in Japan for over 20 years.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were envious of their slick, lightweight bikes, built for speed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lush countryside has homes nestled together in winding narrow roads. It feels like people have lived here all of their lives. We wondered how they felt when the expressway was being built overhead through this isolated paradise.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are intrigued by this sign…we think this area must be a nature reserve or park…and there are bathrooms. A bonus for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have been climbing for some time. It feels like we are getting closer to the expressway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then, in this wilderness, we come upon 5 cabins that can be rented. And by the way, beware of the monkeys!
Heart 1 Comment 0
And oh yes, beware of bears as well. Yikes. It does make sense though, we are at a higher altitude and it will be less hot here. Didn’t realize there were bear in this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We discovered that for most of this climb, we will be alongside rushing water, boulders and waterfalls. It is not easy to get to the water from where we are as it is a bit of a climb, but we can hear and see the rushing water. We keep pinching ourselves that no one is here. We saw one car the whole time and the women were sunbathing on the rocks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our route basically winds in a circular path with the water by our side through many twists and turns, and it is always up. It doesn’t level off.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is not easy, but doable and so beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A glimpse through the trees at the water, our constant companion.
Heart 3 Comment 0

At one point, we could look over the guard rail and see the layers of the curves of the road we have been riding on for several Km kind of like a spiral staircase.

As we came around the corner and saw this beautiful pool with falls, it was tempting to jump in and cool down. But there was no access for us
Heart 2 Comment 0
The heat got to me….thank you Barry for giving me the handy fan we bought years ago in Germany.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltGood idea to have the handheld little fan! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Barry BartlettLove it. We bought it in Germany a number of years ago. It works well.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
It is hard to imagine that anyone would come up here and throw their trash over the cliff. But it seems that has happened.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This snake may be injured, playing possum, not sure…but this snake is pretty big. What a big day…a snake and the possibility of bear and monkeys.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltPossibly a Japanese rat snake. Looks injured or dead.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/68339-Elaphe-climacophora/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Once we hit the summit, we were both relieved, yet a bit disappointed to be leaving this wonderful place which is so off the grid. Spectacular, and yes, we rode downhill in only minutes compared to the time it took us to climb. Unforgettable.

What a glorious way to finish the climb with a scenic downhill.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice to have the road to yourselves! :) After what you all went through before!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
On our way down we passed farms and got some curious looks. Only elderly lady came rushing out of her home to check us out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are down to the level of farmland. We sure don’t love these roads that have grooves across them. It is not as easy to brake when you need to slow down your descent and it makes you feel like you are floating.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are also down in the area of rice farms. Such a beautiful sight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The teary little guy got our attention…slow down please.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our day had a lovely finish with a ride through a traditional neighbourhood with home tucked close together.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Liked this, especially the cat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well, we are certainly back in the world of lights and action with this huge Pachinko and Slot building across from our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Barry’s work in creating this route for us, was worth the effort. The scenery was so beautiful and untamed. We had an outstanding day and felt that we experienced something very special. We love that it was off the grid and so unspoiled. We rode a long way and shared it with a couple of riders, a car, a sleepy snake and perhaps some monkeys and bears that watched us from afar.   We are so tired and desperately need to have a shower. At the hotel, the first priority will be a trip to the hotel’s  Onsen and then dinner, followed closely by a good sleep. 

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 2,548 km (1,582 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierWhat a gorgeous climb! Well done, Barry!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago