A better day, we hope - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

A better day, we hope

Forgot to mention that yesterday when Barry was lost  on the dark, rainy highway, he somehow lost his lovely new glasses…only 3 months old. Lucky for him, he won a draw at the shop when he bought them which gives him free lenses for another pair. We found the rain yesterday to compare with the heavy rain we have experienced in South East Asia during monsoon  season.

Barry shared with me this morning, that to add to his challenges last night, he hit his left wheel hard on a curb that was higher than he thought. The sound was terrible and he imagined the worst. Could this day get worse, he wondered. Upon inspection, everything looked good, except for the  fender which  was askew. As he lifted his bike this morning, he looked up and said, the wheel is not attached. So grateful it did not come off last night while he was riding in the dark. He reattached the wheel and it seemed ok, but the brakes on that side are a problem.

Indeed, the tire is completely unattached and the brakes on this side are not functioning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Barry was able to reattach the wheel, but we want a mechanic to check it out, if we can find one.

The seats are still soaked through from yesterday’s rain…trying to absorb some of the water,
Heart 0 Comment 0

Route Inn Hotels are generally good value as they always have a Grand Public Bath and usually a free breakfast buffet. Plus, this one provided us with a covered, safe place for our bikes.

Route Inn Yokkaichi -old but comfortable and our beacon in the storm. Luckily we booked ahead as it gave both of us a destination when we lost each other.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What does a man do when he has had enough of the heat? He finds refuge at a Toto shop where the water is cool and plentiful. Toto, the Japanese company, that makes the premium toilet, bidet…all things bathroom, is a very successful company in Japan and around the world. Even the most humble convenience stores have Toto toilets with all the extras.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was a short stay here, but good. The staff as always were awesome.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I was excited to show Barry the route I was able to find last night. So nice to be off the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oh, no…look at the trucks and congestion….this is not a good start to the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We made our way and came out to the same road from last night…..nope, not doing that again. We turned around and are searching for a quieter road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This pink cement truck shows how much Japanese culture is ingrained with colourful and cheerful images. So many freight trucks are vibrant colours, meticulously cared for and the chrome shines.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Luckily we got away from the highway and took a route that brought us through the town of Yokkaichi. We passed by a Trek bike store, pulled in and asked them to fix Barry’s brakes. Yeah!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thanks to this lovely fellow, Barry now has brakes that are functioning well and the wheel is secure.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This wall with a great photo greets you as you entered the Trek store in Yokkaichi.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is much to like in this small city of Yokkaichi, including the covered walkways on the main street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yokkaichi is a town that keeps on giving…we saw a Mini Stop Convenience Store and pulled in for ice cream. After all it is their specialty, it is so good, and we have had some stress the last few days! We also bought a few items that are supposed to help keep you cool.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Every job here seems to have a unique uniform. As you can imagine, stores like this and one called, Workman, are frequently seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We mutually decided that we would stop early. Yesterday was a tough day, the heat and humidity are sapping our energy…so we stopped in Kameyama. A good decision.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 2,481 km (1,541 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0