Heading out towards Osaka - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2023

Heading out towards Osaka

We knew it was coming, but it is July in Japan…the dreaded heat and humidity are here. 35 C is the average for this week but it is the 80+humidity that is the killer . We hope to reach Suzuka today, but time will tell. Mary Ellen’s cold bug has settled in her chest and sinuses which doesn’t help.

Nagoya is a city that we, but particularly Barry  has grown to appreciate.  Our hotel is in an interesting area of narrow streets, cafes and small shops, it has a funky feel and a lot of energy. From our window, we see rooftop gardens, cafes firing up their grills for dinner service. It is a great neighbourhood. Much of Nagoya has been rebuilt since the war. 

Bamboo is a recurring theme throughout the Diawa Hotel…the floors, artwork and the decor in the lobby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We always look for the best bargain on the road, and here in Japan, we are finding that good deals are available, even at hotels that seem to be more upscale than we are used to. Being frequent users of booking sites, we earn additional discounts. This lovely hotel was less than $80 incl tax.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A striking high rise in a modern design.it is quite beautiful as it catches the light. But is it just me? I see a resemblance to the women in The Handmaid’s Tale.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonI see it, too.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heading out. Rain is forecast later today, but we can feel it building already. The heavy clouds make it feel like it is dusk, not morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
“Bentoman” … catchy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who knew Denny’s is popular in Japan? We haven’t seen them before coming to Nagoya and this is the second Denny’s we have seen here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Truly massive Tori Gates. You can see the scale of it in context with the car.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are enjoying a beautiful ride in the country, but the clouds are looking ominous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tori Gates are such a common sight and the gateway to a special place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was an enchanting sight. Between the highway and the road we were riding on, was this green space full of herons and other birds nesting in the trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love this image…it tells a story.
Heart 4 Comment 0
What a funny situation…we were waiting at a red light and this man was in the convertible ahead of us. First he lowered the roof and waved, then he got out to chat and take our picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then he raced back to get in his car as the light had changed. We can’t count the number of spontaneous, memorable encounters we have had in Japan with people who just want to connect with us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch at Family Mart Convenience Store…ginger marinated pork on rice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stunning lilies along the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A small shrine along the road
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are having a beautiful ride today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This field was so beautiful as the wind created a sweeping rolling pattern of of huge round foliage with the white flowers moving as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This verdant valley is a beautiful sight, but with the wind howling and the sky getting darker, we are motivated to move on, and quickly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

What a beautiful place to live, but we do wonder about the possibility of flooding on this low plain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from the bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
When the rain started it was fierce. Within minutes, the roads were flooding in places and we were forced to ride through deep water. The real problem though, was that cars didn’t slow down and we were flooded by the spray from their cars. Never experienced anything like it. We took refuge under this bridge for a bit.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNot good weather for you to be in when you're not feeling good!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The ride today has revealed beautiful spots like this view from the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took refuge at a Family Mart Convenience Store. Replaced our sodden clothes with rain gear, and tried to get warm before heading out again.
Heart 2 Comment 0

To reach our destination, we are forced to ride on a busy road much of the time. The road surface has many pot holes and the sidewalk is so overgrown it is impassable in places. With the bad weather and the steady procession of freight trucks, we have to white knuckle it at times, or just plough through the growth if we can. Not a fun ride….scary.

At this point, the condition of the sidewalk is a bit annoying.
Heart 1 Comment 0
…then it gets worse.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh my -- the tall vegetation in the middle of the bike path is definitely not good to try to get by on your trikes!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
This can’t be…what a mess.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYikes! that's difficult to get through with your trikes!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

There are no more photos for this day as the weather suddenly turned even uglier and we lost light. At one point, I was on a sidewalk and Barry was ahead on the road and we got separated. For some reason, the access to get off the sidewalk is sometimes blocked by a fence  and I had to  turn around to get off the sidewalk. We normally communicate through our Sena helmets, but this wasn’t working, so we could not find each other. After some time going back and forth, I gave up and thought that the only solution was to head to our hotel and hope to find Barry there. By this point, it is 7:30, dark, and the storm is at its peak….Barry was not at the hotel.

Not only could he not communicate with me, he was having trouble with the map on the phone. Finally we were able to get texts through to each other, he got some instructions from a gas station, and he arrived bedraggled, cold, wet and relieved to get off the trike. By then it was 9:30. Mustn’t let this happen again….scary.

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 2,436 km (1,513 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonA day of extremes! I know how scary that is when you lose each other on the road, end of the day and in a storm. Janos and I have had a similar experience but yours was even a bit scarier.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltOh that's awful to lose one another!! And in the dark and in the rain??! Ack!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago