Getting There - Downhill on the Danube - Tandem Tour - June 2017 - CycleBlaze

Getting There

It's a long way from home to Passau.

We did it as a 2-day drive, with our trusty Tandem Two'sDay folded up in the back of our car.   Our first day, we drove north and east to the edge of France - Besançon.   We had never been to Besançon before and found it really nice.  Vibrant and full of young people - fun for us old folks.

We walked into town from our autoroute hotel for dinner
Heart 1 Comment 0

Day 2 was a little more frantic.  It involved autobahns across Germany.  There were some high speeds involved (not us - passing traffic) and serious navigation challenges.  It took us most of the day to get to the Austrian border.   Some extra navigation finally got us to Schärding and our hotel for night 0 - the Landhotel Gasthof St Florian.

We unpacked and set up the bike, and then drove the car a short distance to where it would be staying for the duration of our trip - a big grass parking lot in front of Austria Radreisen's home office.  It was Saturday, so no one was around.  We just parked where it seemed to make sense and walked back to the hotel.

We ate dinner in the hotel's biergarten.  This was our first trip to Germany in about 20 years, so the experience of good German beer in a biergarten on a warm summer evening was pretty special.   Some tears of joy were shed.  :)

Sweet after a long, stressful day in the car.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0