Day 6 - Spitz to Tulln - Downhill on the Danube - Tandem Tour - June 2017 - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2017

Day 6 - Spitz to Tulln

Heart 1 Comment 0

The Wachau is a magical place.  The Danube carves through a narrow valley, and the vines are terraced all the way to the tops of the hills.  Today was a magical day, too - at least for the first half.

Wachau Vineyards
Heart 1 Comment 0

After another great breakfast, we rode off downstream.  We stopped at the various points of interest that were marked on our tour map, and savored the beauty all around us.  Gorgeous blue sky above us, lots to see and explore, and the flexibility of being on a bike.  Perfect!

Entering Durnstein
Heart 1 Comment 0

Durnstein in particular was really pretty.  Definitely discovered by tourists, but at this time of year and this hour of the day it was still possible to feel like we had it mostly to ourselves.

Image not found :(
Durnstein
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Durnstein
Heart 3 Comment 0

On the way out of Durnstein, we noticed a winery and decided to explore the mysteries of Wachau wines in more detail.  We stopped and put ourselves into the hands of a capable and knowledgeable young man who filled our brains with information and our stomachs with more great wines.  Despite being on a bike, we bought 3 bottles!   2 of them actually made it home!

Wine tasting!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Unfortunately, the Wachau doesn't go on forever.  We soon had to re-enter reality and the afternoon ride was a bit of a slog.  It wasn't helped when we decided to bypass Krems-an-der-Donau.  We didn't realize that we were also bypassing our best chance for lunch.  Oops.

Not so picturesque
Heart 1 Comment 0

A few kilometers down the road, we were feeling the wine tasting and regretting our choice to not grab lunch when it would have been so easy.  We detoured off of the route to try and find a restaurant or store, but only succeeded in making things worse.  Nothing open in these tiny towns.

Finally, amazingly, we came upon a restaurant next to a marina after about 40k of riding.  Despite the late hour (about 3PM), they happily served us lunch  (Don't try that in France).   Saved by pure random luck!

Newly energized, we powered our way to Tulln and the Pension Springbrunnen, an odd and oddly-placed pension on the main square.  Hint:  It's down the hall behind the entrance to the dollar store.

In the end, though the pension turned out to be great.  We cleaned up and prowled around Tulln for awhile, found some dinner, and slept very, very well.

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 336 km (209 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0