Day 4 - Wallsee to Marbach - Downhill on the Danube - Tandem Tour - June 2017 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2017

Day 4 - Wallsee to Marbach

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were up at a fairly reasonable hour.  We met our 9AM baggage depot time again (4th day in a row!), had breakfast (minus the smoking farmers), and hit the road.

Rich was interested in Ardagger Abbey, another rococo pile that sits a bit off of the river.  So we headed cross-country to see whether we could find it.  Some hill climbing ensued.

On the way to Ardagger Abbey
Heart 1 Comment 0

The abbey looks pretty plain from the outside and there was no one around.  We weren't sure it was actually open.  

Ardagger Abbey Outside
Heart 2 Comment 0

But we pushed on a couple of doors and magically got inside. 

Ardagger Abbey Inside
Heart 2 Comment 0

After feasting our eyes on more gold leaf and cherubs, we swooped back down to the river at Ardagger Markt and turned right along the right bank.  We crossed over a bridge to arrive at the sweet town of Grein.

Entering Grein
Heart 2 Comment 0

A nice-looking cafe sat empty.  We weren't sure whether they were open, but we sat down hopefully.  Eventually a kind waiter took pity on us and brought us some coffee.   Just what the pilot needed!

Coffee Stop in Grein
Heart 2 Comment 0

Grein is a really enjoyable place to sit and people-watch.  It was one of Rich's slowest-ever cups of coffee.

Watching the world go by in Grein
Heart 3 Comment 0

Suitably caffeinated, we went in search of the next bike ferry that was meant to get us across the river to Weisen.  No problem!  Easy to find, easy to take, and in a few minutes we were happily back on the bike path on the right bank.

Bike Ferry #3, or maybe #4
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The Danube from the bike ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0

Again, this section of the tour was beautiful for cycling.  Very quiet, no cars, and great views.

More great bike paths
Heart 1 Comment 0

We ate our picnic lunch in a park in the interestingly-named town of Ybbs.

Image not found :(
Our trusty steed takes a break
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was back across the river - this time on a large dam.

Back over to the left bank
Heart 1 Comment 0

And then just a few minutes of riding to the Hotel Wachauerhof, our hotel for the night.

Our hotel for the night
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a great room here and were able to watch the river traffic go by.  The Danube passenger boats are huge!   It's hard to understand how they don't break into pieces.

Watching river traffic from our hotel room
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 238 km (148 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0