Hiking above Corvara - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2022

Hiking above Corvara

Another thing we wanted to do while we were here was a hike in the alpine. Riding through was great but taking our time and (figuratively) smelling the flowers is a different experience.

The weather forecast and the view from the window indicated that today would be beautiful, while tomorrow’s forecast wasn’t so great (though in the mountains, that could easily change).  So an easy hike was the plan after two rides with significant climbing.

Early morning view from our window. This is the Borest gondola up to the neighbouring village of Colfosco and not the one we took for our hike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Slightly different view from our window with the Boè gondola to Piz Boè. We were thinking of going up this one but Manfred suggested another way might be better for an easy hike.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We took Manfred’s suggestion and started with the gondola up Col Alta. This put us up in the meadows and then we hiked up to Pralongià for lunch. From there walked back down (and down and down) to Corvara.

At the top station of the gondola. Brais Fraida is a chairlift to get a bit higher but we walked from here. To stay of the lifts also take bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From here we can see two of the passes we climbed on our bikes yesterday: Campolongo on the left and Gardena on the right. Many of the trails are like narrow gravel roads and are shared by hikers amd mountain bikers, though there are some bike-only trails too. The red posts mark open metal trench drains; don’t step in them! The drains aren’t marked on all the trails so it’s best to stop and enjoy the scenery.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Scenery and alpine meadow flowers!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
We had lunch here. We arrived just before noon and there were lots of places available. When we left, all the outside tables were full. Nobody wanted to sit inside on such a day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The wind came up while we were eating lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Which way to go?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Self-timer shot!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Checking that we are descending the correct trail. However, if we went wrong (we didn’t), we’d be able to take a bus or series of lifts back to Corvara. Not quite like going the wrong way in BC.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonWhat beautiful meadows!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Suzanne GibsonTruly! My photos don’t do them justice
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our track recorded on GaiaGPS. Were I to do it again, I’d do a loop in the alpine and pay to ride a gondola down. The return to Corvara was long and not as scenic as being up high.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0