Florence day 2 - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2022

Florence day 2

Today’s early start was for the Uffizi Gallery.  Luckily it was less than 10 minutes’ walk from our accommodation so it was easy to get there to pick up our tickets before our 0815 admission time—if only we could find Door 2 to get them. But we did, poorly-signed as it was. 

We managed to spend all morning there, with a short break for coffee on the terrace. (We’d seen the terrace with its big square umbrellas from the Duomo but didn’t know it was the Uffizi café.)  By noon, though, it was time to move on and find a sandwich place for lunch. A few photos of artworks that caught my eye:

Sculptures, paintings, beautiful rooms. Galleria degli Uffizi has it all!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Look up!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sarcophagus from the early 2nd century AD. All the hunters’ heads except 3 have been replaced. The original head of Meleager (killing the boar) would have been a portrait of the deceased.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Botticelli’s Madonna of the Magnificat.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Woman on a “sea horse”. This would have originally decorated a fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The terrace where we had coffee.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I love the light in this one but not sure how Saint Francis (?) managed to take a break with the Holy Family.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Honesty of Saint Eligius
Heart 0 Comment 0
I just knew this had to be Zeus!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch we walked a km or so to a bike shop; the little repair place near our apartment hadn’t heard of CO2 and that was Al’s intended purchase. Our walk took us through a different bit of Florence where there were still tourists (of course) but definitely a less affluent sort. 

We saw this man and dog on our way to the bike shop. They were still there on our way back half an hour later, with the dog’s paws still daintily crossed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These buskers were playing jazz.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Mission accomplished, it was time to get our bike cases over to Mailboxes Etc. for shipping.  75€ total included packaging of both cases and delivery to our hotel near Venice. Fingers crossed they will be waiting for us when we get there 7 weeks from now. 

The rest of the day was free to spend as we liked. We started with a walk across the river for coffee in Piazza Santa Spirito and then decided to get more use from our Bruneschelli passes, which we’d needed to climb the Duomo.  So we climbed the Campanile, visited the Baptistery, looked unsuccessfully for the entrance to Santa Maria del Fiore (that wasn’t to attend Mass), and finished our day with a visit to the Opera del Duomo Museum.   The latter offered a very informative video about construction of the dome, along with exhibits of the originals of many architectural elements. 

The viewing platform of the Campanile is enclosed by stainless steel mesh.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The sign to Al’s right describes the work that was needed to restore this bell. It had been placed here on display and subsequently badly damaged by graffiti, in addition to the effects of being outside for centuries.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back up the beautiful tower
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inside the Baptistery
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the panels of the Baptistery north doors
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small bronze head, Baptistery north door
Heart 0 Comment 0
Putting the panels and heads in context
Heart 0 Comment 0
The doors currently on the Baptistery are replicas. This is an original, inside the Duomo Museum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The original East doors, the “Gates of Paradise”.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The dome as seen from the terrace of the museum. It needs some TLC (though it gets a lot!)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Michelangelo’s Pietà. There were three on display, all different. The sign was only in Italian, but I think it said this was here for restoration. Is this the one that was damaged some years ago by someone with a hammer?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner was the best yet, at a restaurant in the Piazza dei Cimatori.

My first course: ricotta and spinach balls with fresh tomato sauce and basil.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonLooks delicious!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonIt was!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Al’s second course: a burger, Italian style.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonHey, you’re not supposed to have a burger in a country with great pasta!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetHe’d already demolished a plate of gnocchi and half the salad we shared. I don’t know where he puts it all.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Margie AndersonBeautiful stuff Jacquie. Too many to like them all. Just opened this today May 21… so better get at it! Happy May long weekend!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago