Florence to Radda in Chianti - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2022

Florence to Radda in Chianti

Yes, Radda is a hilltop town

Another early start today (you don’t want to tour with me if you’re not a morning person) but Al appreciated being in the first group admitted to the Galleria dell’Accademia to see Michelangelo’s David before the crowds got big.  It’s the only thing I remember from my previous visit to Florence in 1981;  Al saw it on his previous trip too, in 1986. He was cycling, while I was doing the backpack-and-Eurailpass trip popular with my peers back then. 

David is the standout exhibit in the Accademia, presented there with a few other sculptures by Michelangelo, an assortment of plaster models for sculptures that are elsewhere, and lots and lots of mediaeval paintings from churches. 

One of the many shots I took.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Keith AdamsI managed a few shots several years ago (including one from a nearly identical angle), before the guard stopped me. Did you have any similar issue?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetNo issues whatsoever. No flash, no tripod were the rules but I don’t carry either when I’m touring.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
This plaster caught my eye because of the expressions of both the boy and the dog. From 1827.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mediæval depiction of Madonna and child.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another gilded painting from a church
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is embroidery!
Heart 4 Comment 1
The musicians shown near the bottom are apparently very realistic for the time, especially the details of their instruments.
Heart 0 Comment 0

An hour was enough. Back to our accommodation to change and load our bikes, then we were off. Sort of. We did a bit of circling around before we gave up on the GPS locating us properly in the narrow streets and followed our noses to the river and along it until we intersected our route at the correct bridge. 

The Eroica café is across the street from the Accademia. The vintage Colnago in the window caught our eye.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There’s a long straight street from the Accademia to the Duomo.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Margie AndersonI read “Brunelleschi’s Dome; the story of the making of the Great Cathedral in Florence. Margie
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Margie AndersonI’ll have to add it to my reading list.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ever wonder about the difference between a caffe latte (left) and a cappuccino (right)? Both delicious!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maintaining the Duomo and other old structures must be quite the industry in Italy. This huge lift belongs to a building cleaning company; look closely and you can see scaffolding behind printed screens beyond. Repair work follows the cleaning, presumably.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Riding out of Florence was a bit nervy but no worse than other cities and better than some.  By noon we were clear of the orange splodge on the map and on our way to Radda. 

Unfortunately, we were not clear of the forecast rain and by 1 it had intensified from very light to moderate. Conveniently, a roadside restaurant appeared at just the right time.  We both had the same things:  spinach and ricotta ravioli in a sage butter sauce as the first course, roast chicken (served alone on the plate with a sprig of rosemary) as the second course, accompanied by a lettuce and tomato salad. I think there were other side dishes available, but no written menu so we just opted for salad.  Accompanied by mineral water and followed by an espresso each, the bill totalled 32€. 

Back on our bikes, it was still raining. We soon came to the climb we’d noticed in the route profile. As we started the descent in Panzano, we got the classic Tuscan views but I was getting chilled so didn’t stop for a photo. We saw two cycle tourists climbing up as we were going down but nobody stopped. 

Then it was a pleasant ride along a river until the turnoff for the direct route to Radda. Still pleasant but a steep climb. I walked most of it; it’s my first real day cycling after 5 months and I’m not quite ready for 15% grades on a loaded bike. 

First view of Radda in Chianti. Yes, it’s a hilltop town.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Margie Anderson…towns that are not hill top are hard to find. All about fortification and protection back then. So spectacular!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

On one of the bits I actually rode, a couple in a van passed me going down the hill. They turned around and offered to tow me up holding onto the open window (skitching, as my longboarder son would say). I declined. I got to the top under my own power and we found our B&B just outside the centre of Radda in Chianti. I’m sure the view would be fantastic, if only it were sunny!

Welcome to our B&B. Too bad the unseasonable weather didn’t allow this to be out on the terrace.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The day ended with a very nice meal in Radda.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 50 km (31 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI’ve been bicycling a lot and wouldn’t want to do a 15% climb even on an unloaded bike. Hope the weather gets better!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonI don’t know how I missed it when we looked at the profile the day before. At least it wasn’t too long.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago