Florence Day 1 - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2022

Florence Day 1

We started the day early with a climb up Bruneschelli’s dome, the dome of the Duomo.  Now this we’d trained for, moving in to our new home, a townhouse with 5 levels (if you include the basement and the roof deck) and high ceilings. The 463 steps were just a normal day for us.  I’d wanted to see the construction of the dome close up and the views of Florence were a fabulous bonus. 

Image not found :(
We weren’t the only ones waiting for the door to open at 0815!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
There was a display on the way up, meant as something to do as you caught your breath. We didn’t really need the rest but it surprised me to learn what some of the statues were made of.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the straw-and-clay bishops.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Frescoed dome viewed through plexiglass
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another view of the frescoes on the interior of the dome, still through plexiglass
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from the Duomo platform
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking down over the dome
Heart 2 Comment 0
I was there!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another view from the dome platform
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flowers growing on the exterior tiles
Heart 3 Comment 0
Even the buttresses way up there were beautifully decorated
Heart 4 Comment 0
Above a butress
Heart 1 Comment 0
Al and I both have engineering/construction backgrounds. We were curious how this crane had been erected in there…
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith Adams"We were curious how this crane had been erected in there…"

CAREFULLY.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Image not found :(
Al says the tower of the Palazzio Vecchio signifies Florence to him
Heart 2 Comment 0

We found the Mailboxes Etc. location closest to our accommodation and they said no problem to send our cases; we only needed to bring them in. The rest of the morning was spent putting the bikes together.  This time, all went well. The tires held air (losing the bead when deflated for travel is a concern with tubeless) and the gears and brakes all worked (verified with a test ride around the block).  But when I sat down to update this journal after lunch, I couldn’t keep my eyes open. So I went for a walk instead while Al worked out his packing strategy. We met up later for an overpriced aperitif in Piazza della Signoria (but we saved 8€ because Al’s second beer didn’t make it onto the bill).

Café in Piazza di Santa Croce
Heart 0 Comment 0
I didn’t order espresso but that’s wha was brought. There was more sugar than coffee (and I don’t sweeten my coffee).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buskers playing Vivaldi in Piazzale degli Uffizi. Same cellist as yesterday but completely different style of music.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Galileo and friend in Piazzale degli Uffizi.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Piazzale degli Uffizi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watercolourist, Piazzale degli Uffizi
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
On Ponte Vecchio in the afternoon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Perseus with the head of Medusa, Piazza della Signoria
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first 8€ beer
Heart 2 Comment 2

It was a much better dinner tonight, not in Piazza della Signoria,  decent food and a friendly Albanian waiter who brought us each a glass of Vecchio Amaro del Capo, a herbal liqueur from Calabria as a digestif.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0