Corvara in Badia to Cortina d’Ampezzo - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2022

Corvara in Badia to Cortina d’Ampezzo

Today's intended  ride was another I was a bit concerned about but a booking miscommunication actually helped. I had thought we had a booking in Misurina (not through Booking dot com but directly with the hotel) but apparently I was supposed to email back and confirm. I hadn’t, because I didn’t know I was expected to. In any case, the climb and descent to Cortina followed by the climb and descent to Misurina looked a bit much. When I discovered we didn’t have a reservation in Misurina, I booked us into a hotel in Cortina and breathed  sigh of relief.

Part of getting ready is, of course, eating well the night before.  Of our four evening meals in Corvara, all but the first have been at a pizzeria/restaurant called Fornella. All meals have been excellent.  

Traditional Ladin dish of canederli.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fornella’s placemat. Three times at the restaurant and we could only ever find nine ibex.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenNow you have me looking 😂. I will report if I find the tenth. Between your placemat and Wordle there won’t be any dull moments around here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Kathleen ClassenI took a photo but Al brought one back to bring home. Best restaurant placemats I’ve seen!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Another part of getting ready for  a big ride is a good breakfast. The breakfast buffet at La Tranquillité is definitely good.

Breakfast buffet at La Tranquillité
Heart 3 Comment 0
There was more. For the jam-counters, there was this, plus more jams in single-serve packages around to the right.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we were off on a short route with lots of climbing and even more descending. 

Exiting Corvara, we rode on an unpaved cycle route for a while. It ran beside a stream, crossing it a couple of times.
Heart 5 Comment 0
These caught my eye while I as catching my breath on the climb.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe some species of bellflower?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campanulaceae
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltThis one was growing like a vine. I took another photo looking up into one (blurry so I didn’t post it). It’s like four open sepals (not sure of terminology) with a smaller flower inside.

I saw the same (?) flowers again today but near the ground rather than clinging to a tree.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Nice scenery always helps on a climb—and gives you an excuse to catch your breath as you (slowly) get your camera out.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We stopped just before Passo di Valparola, where there’s a small museum dedicated to the WW1 history here. Forget-me-nots seem appropriate.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Passo Valparola. I didn’t think it was a good idea to try to get my bike to the sign.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Passo Falzárego is actually about 2 km southeast of Passo Valparola and 85 metres lower. We’ll go straight across at the intersection today and may or may not ride up in a couple of days to turn southwest here and follow the twisty road you see towards our next stop in Caprile.
Heart 8 Comment 0
A well-camouflaged group of climbers near Passo Falzárego.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I had to wait my turn for this.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Near Passo Falzarego
Heart 5 Comment 0
Near Passo Falzarego
Heart 3 Comment 0
A little church on the side of the road about 10(?) km from Cortina. It was completely rebuilt and is dedicated to all who lost their lives in WW2.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Window in the church
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back toward Passo Falzarego from near the little church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back up and through the one tunnel on the descent to Cortina.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Photographing Cortina from the little roped-off viewpoint near the tunnel. It’s really only possible for cyclists or pedestrians to stop here.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking down on Cortina d’Ampezzo
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Cortina d’Ampezzo
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Cortina d’Ampezzo
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Cortina d’Ampezzo
Heart 3 Comment 0
Where we’re staying in Cortina d’Ampezzo
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking for dinner in Cortina d’Ampezzo
Heart 2 Comment 0

Let’s finish with another meal. Need to fuel up for tomorrow!

Another local dish as part of dinner tonight: ravioli filled with red beets in a sauce of butter, Parmesan, and poppy seeds. Not your usual pasta dish! It was good.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 1,908 km (1,185 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenWe are really enjoying your posts. You are in such a beautiful part of the world.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenLove those blue skies. We weren’t quite that fortunate when we were there but still spectacular. So glad you two were finally able to get to the Dolomites. Great photos!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago