Day 2: Sheep Creek Bridge to Abbott Campground - Soaking It All In - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2020

Day 2: Sheep Creek Bridge to Abbott Campground

In college, I had an instructor that introduced me to the concept of "Type 2 fun." Type 2 fun is when an event is not fun in the moment, but becomes fun in retrospect. Today was a perfect example of what type 2 fun really is.

We awoke at 7, made breakfast, packed up camp, and hit the road by 9:15am. We went only a couple of miles before stopping at Loftus Hot Springs, which consists of two gorgeous tubs located about 50 feet up the hillside opposite the river. As Caleb changed into his swim trunks, I made my way up to the tubs and immediately came across something quite worrying: a tree whose base was completely on fire! 

The tree that we so bravely saved.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Marya MoosmanWhoa! So lucky for the tree and the forest that you guys were there! Man, people have got to be more careful.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Such a beautiful tub! And very hot to boot.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Marya MoosmanOh, that is lovely!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

I shouted to Caleb, and we both grabbed water bottles and a dry bag and slowly put the flames out. It appeared as though someone did not properly extinguish a campfire, and that the embers reignited. It could have been much worse had we not stopped in time! 

After saving the forest from a fiery death, we soaked for a half hour before continuing on. While soaking, a road grader passed by in the direction we were heading. We were initially hopeful that this would eliminate some of the washboard that was becoming more prevalent along the route, but it instead ripped up the road, making it sandier AND rockier.

Ninemeyer Hot Spring across the river. We couldn't soak in it because the water was too high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cabin truly in the middle of nowhere.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Green, green, rocky roads.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We slogged our way ever upward alongside the Boise River, towards the turnoff for Steelhead Pass. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, and we were loving every moment of it.  At the junction, we forded a creek in an attempt to have lunch at Johnson's Bath House, another hot spring listed on the map. This site turned out to be a flop, consisting only of a rusty bathtub and lukewarm shower, so we made a quick lunch and then started the climb.

The climb KICKED OUR BUTTS. It ascended approximately 2500 feet over 8 miles, with few level spots offering respite from its steep and sinuous ascent. We ended up walking approximately half of it, partly due to exhaustion and partly because Caleb's bike isn't geared as well for long, steep climbs. We were absolutely knackered by the time we reached the summit. We quickly donned our warm clothing and bombed down the other side to Featherville. Once in town, we sent of some quick check-ins to family before splurging for one of the best pizzas we had ever consumed. Note to future riders: stop at the cafe in Featherville! The owner was a delight and a great conversationalist too. 5 stars!

An example of what we battled for several hours.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Marya MoosmanOh, goodness! That does not look fun!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Nearing the summit.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The rather anticlimactic summit.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally, under darkening skies and a now steady patter of rainfall, we made our way two miles east to Abbott Campground. We were both exhausted at this point, and quickly set up the tent, hung our food, and went to bed. 

This route is no joke, and putting in 40+ mile days is taxing even for two guys as young and as fit as ourselves. Still though, the rewards certainly outweight the bouts of misery. Onward!

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 93 miles (150 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Bob DistelbergYeah, road graders and gravel roads. A couple of times a year they regrade our local roads here. It gets rid of the washboard, but completely churns up the big chunks of gravel. They are pretty much unrideable for about a week, until car traffic eventually packs everything down again.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago