Day 13: Idaho City to Lucky Peak State Park (end) - Soaking It All In - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2020

Day 13: Idaho City to Lucky Peak State Park (end)

We awoke today to what would be our final day on the trail. What an extraordinary route this has turned out to be. Challenging, yes, but oh so rewarding. Central Idaho is a special place, a place I will not soon forget. 

We intentionally set our alarm to wake up at 6:30am, which would allow us to get an early start on the climb up and over into the Boise River Valley. The morning was cool, but quickly heated up as we pedaled up the pass. We were pleased to find that the switchbacks were not nearly as steep as in previous climbs, and that the grade was relatively consistent from the base to the summit. However, the final few miles of the road had been recently cut by a road grader and were thus extraordinarily rocky. As a result, we found ourselves walking our bikes up in order to actually make forward progress.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heading up through yet more komorebi.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view from whence we came.
Heart 5 Comment 0
If you look closely, you can see Caleb pushing his bike. We've had a couple of miles of hike-a-bike on this trip, that's for sure!
Heart 7 Comment 1
Marya MoosmanOh, goodness. This is just lovely.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Once at the summit, we were greeted by fields of wildflowers and throngs of butterflies and bees. The view was endless. However, with the sun beating down on us, we also hoped to get back down into the shade of some trees, so we took a quick break before heading down the 3,000ft descent. 

Heart 8 Comment 3
Marya MoosmanOh! And this might be even lovlier. There's nothing quite like wildflowers.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Hylin GoldLove it! 💕
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

This descent was, without a doubt, the hardest of the trip. The road was washed out in multiple places, and sandy in others. We thus found ourselves slipping and sliding as we rocketed off the mountainside. Adding to this were the countless little fiestas of butterflies, bees, and flies, all of which would flutter upward and directly into our path, making it hard to see at times. The road was so rutted, in fact, that Caleb and I both fell within two miles of one another, each becoming a little more bruised and shaken in the process. We hadn't fallen at all previous to this descent. Luckily none of our injuries were too severe, and we were able to continue on, little worse for wear. 

After what felt like an endless descent, we rolled in together to the intersection with the Boise River, which had passed through not 12 days previous. We gave one another celebratory high-fives for completing the full loop, and continued on. 

Taking a break in the shade at the intersection.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading back on the road we came in on two weeks ago.
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was remarkable to see how much the road from this intersection back to Lucky Peak Reservoir had changed since we had last passed through. The valley that used to be green and lush was now parched, and the road dusty and severely washboarded. We both remarked how grateful we were to have completed the route when we did, as it was now searing out and the road condition was pretty disheartening. 

After 14 miles of jostling and coughing, we made it back to the state park, where we indulged in ice cream bars and electrolyte drinks while awaiting the arrival of my cousins. We were both exhausted, but each held that same sparkle of joy in finishing a truly wonderful bikepacking route. 

I will have more to reflect on and share once I've been able to fully process our trip and rest up a bit. For now, though, we celebrate together. Thank you all for joining us on this fabulous, mountainous, breathtaking, wet, bumpy, thrilling, itchy, and introspective journey. 

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 582 miles (937 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Hillary NolanI enjoyed reading every day of your journey. Glad you were able to experience this trip together. Thankful that you both came back safely!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonI’m so glad you wrote this up, and enjoyed your journal immensely. It was a revelation for me. We live just a few hundred miles west of here but have never central Idaho. I‘m going to have to study the map.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen ClassenThank you for your time and effort writing this journal. It was such a wonderful read. I enjoyed it immensely. Congratulations to you both on completing a great tour.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike AylingThe older I become the more I dislike sandy, rocky washed out descents.
Great pictures Well done both of you.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Marya MoosmanThis was such a joy for me to be able to follow your journey together along this amazing route. I'm so grateful you were able to do this together and that you were safe and were able to see and experience so many amazing things. Thank you so much for taking the time to take the photos and write about your journey. I love you guys!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Susan CarpenterI really enjoyed your journey - thanks for taking us along!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonI enjoyed your journal very much! What amazing scenery! Sorry you had such a tough last day.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago