Day 1: Boise to Sheep Creek Bridge - Soaking It All In - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2020

Day 1: Boise to Sheep Creek Bridge

Today's the day! We awoke at 7am to cloudy skies and intermittent showers, with the temperature hovering in the low-60s. My cousin gave us a ride to the Boise Greenbelt at 9:30 and we officially started pedaling just after 10am. 

We slowly worked our way out of town along the Greenbelt, making adjustments here and there as we settled in to a nice rhythm. A rain shower forced us to seek shelter for some time outside of Lucky Peak Reservoir, but after drying out for a bit, we continued along Highway 21 towards Idaho City. We soon turned right onto our first first service ridesS and finally hit the gravel. We were both impressed with the quality of the road; besides some sections of washboard, both our bikes and our bodies handled it just fine. If the rest of the roads are like today's, all should be well for the trip.

Lucky Peak Resevoir
Heart 6 Comment 1
Marya MoosmanI've heard this is a really great place for birding! It looks very unique.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

The change in scenery today was drastic, going from dry sagebrush desert into more lush pine forests. We took breaks along the way to snack, use the restroom, and recharge. We also ran into two riders completing the route in the opposite direction, and they provided us with valuable information regarding an upcoming road closure. 

We eventually arrived at Sheep Creek Bridge, where a hot spring is located just south of the road along the Boise River. We found a beautiful disused campsite tucked awa roughly 50 yards past the hot springs. We hiked our bikes in, set up camp, and went for our first inaugural dip. It was truly something special. The water was shallow, but well over 100 degrees. We went between the river and the springs, giving our legs the rest and recovery that they earned. After soaking for a bit, we returned to camp for dinner. Following dinner, we did one more soak before calling it a day.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camp overlooking the river and hot spring
Heart 1 Comment 0
Caleb in his happy place.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 46 miles (74 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Peggy WymanI will enjoy vicariously biking and soaking with you two! Sounds like a fun adventure ahead of you. You write well Jeremy!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen JonesGreat shots. Glad you can be out there.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago