Day 11: Cascade State Park to Boiling Springs - Soaking It All In - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2020

Day 11: Cascade State Park to Boiling Springs

Today was the embodiment of all that makes bike touring wonderful. 

The morning was absolutely gorgeous, with a slight breeze blowing from the east as the sun rose at our backs. We left camp by 10am and headed south along Lake Cascade and back towards the mountains. 

Beginning the slow, dusty slog up out of Cascade.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Idaho. They'll love you, so long as you're not from Texas...or California...or anywhere other than Idaho.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We spent the morning struggling up another long, dusty road as muggy clouds rolled in. We each recognized early on in the day that we hadn't adequately rested our legs since yesterday's big climb, and as a result we suffered as the road continued ever upward.

After a lunch break and final push towards the summit, we rolled down and met up with the middle fork of the Payette River. We turned north to Boiling Springs, where we intended to indulge in yet more hot springs listed on the map. 

Looking back on yet another fun descent.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Made a friend on the way to the hot springs.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltComma butterfly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonia_c-album
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Boiling Springs Forest Service cabin. Boiling Springs is located immediately behind the cabin, with Pine Burl Hot Springs located two miles further up the valley.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once at the campground, we headed down the dirt road and past a locked gate before coming upon a cabin, behind which we could see the steaming springs. We weren't entirely sure we were allowed to access the springs, as the cabin was rented out and there were two folks eyeing us on the porch. Lucky for us, their watchful gazes quickly turned into welcoming smiles, and they eagerly invited us to join them on a trek to Pine Burl Hot Springs, located approximately 2 miles up the river.

Boiling Springs Hot Springs.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Amanda and Heather guided us to the beautiful hidden pool and treated us to drinks as we soaked in the warm waters. We ended up soaking and conversing in the springs for nearly 3 hours, at which point Amanda and Heather insisted that we join them for the evening at the cabin, rather than pushing on and over the subsequent summit. We happily consented, looking forward to another night indoors.

After being absolutely devoured by mosquitoes on the walk back to the cabin, we settled in for the night. Amanda and Heather chose to sleep outdoors for the first part of the evening, leaving Caleb and I with the cabin that they were renting. We deemed them both to be "aggressively hospitable." As a matter of fact, in my nearly 10,000 miles of bike touring, I'm not sure I have ever come across a more welcoming and joyful duo.

Pine Burl Hot Springs. Note the two valves that can be used to control cold and hot water flow. Fancy!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Marya MoosmanNow that's MY kind of hot springs!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Such lovely company for the evening.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 485 miles (781 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Heather SchroederAgressive hospitality for the loveliest of souls. 💗
Reply to this comment
3 years ago