To the tourist Mecca of Cesky Kromlov - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2018

To the tourist Mecca of Cesky Kromlov

This place has certainly been discovered

It was straight onto the correct route today and after yesterdays experience we were even sensible enough to go back when we got off route

The square of Ceske Budejovice at night
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are some beautiful buildings
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Following the Ltava (Moldau) is what we have been doing and today we ended up stream of where we were last night and somewhat higher.  You would think that following a river would mean that it is relatively flat but it certainly isn't as you go up what must be high bluffs and then scream down the other side.  Again we were charmed by the countryside and its similarity to the French Alps.

A housing area on the way out
Heart 1 Comment 0
This seems how people get their bikes here - it looks comfortable
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Down another hill
Heart 2 Comment 0

One thing that we haven't seen on our trip through the Czech Republic are other cycle tourists.  We see lots of people on mountain bikes trying themselves out on the hills but not people touring.  In the whole way since Prague we have only seen 4.  The first 2 were lone very serious looking young German cyclists, much to intent on covering the ground as fast as possible to even greet us!  But today we met two others.  The first was Bob from Bradford, he had been on a long tour and was finishing in Prague.  The other we met while having a coffee at a canoe camping site.  he was Arnau from Tour.  I found him absolutely delightful, I think he is virtually a permanent cycle tourist.  He was on the way to Denmark and wild camping.

Meeting Arnau
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gates of Cesky Krumlov
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Cesky Komlov is difficult to get to as you approach it from on high.  It is one of those places that is being loved to death by tourists and the Chinese have discovered it in a big way.  It is charming built, into a loop in the river and dominated by a castle the moat of which is guarded by three bears.  We didn't see them as they were doing a very reasonable thing sleeping in their den.  After a good clean up we have sat in the square and drank beer and I have spilt black vanilla ice cream all down my white tee shirt.

In the square
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenBlack vanilla ice cream? We have to find some of that for Keith to try. Good luck with the laundry tonight 😜.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking back to the hotel
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,711 km (1,063 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0