Another day of hills to Cesky Bodejovice - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2018

Another day of hills to Cesky Bodejovice

It will be easier tomorrow

We set of from the lovely Hotel Nautilus confident that we knew the way and that the hills would not be as severe.  We were wrong on both counts.  Finding our way out was a nightmare - we saw that we were on the wrong numbered route but were sure we could just whip across and get on the correct one at a little town called Lom about 10km out of Tabor.  We wandered all over the place often going in completely the wrong direction, we were even on the wrong side of the river.  Eventually with the help of bemused locals and my phone we got there.  By this time it was well after 10 and we had left at 8.  The moral of the story  being that if you find you are on the wrong route go back and find the right one.

The countryside was quite different from yesterday and beautiful in a different kind of way.  The farms now appear to be large and you pass through immaculate villages.  There are two things we have got good at the first being able to spot where we can get coffee around 11.  It works like this, the local work men come in for a lunch type meal around 11.  Where this happens is in a largely unmarked building recognisable by a beer sign outside.  When you go in it is full of men all eating up large. We could get a coffee there.  The other thing is now I can recognise tiny shops - again with hardly any signage so was able to stock up with Fanta for any collapses.

On and on we went with constant hills and eventually were we so high we couldnt see anything higher than us.  We were getting somewhat concerned about the residual power in my battery and Ken's legs and trying to conserve both.

Then it was a glorious sweep down to the river.  This  would be great we only had to follow the river to CB BUT we were in a steep gorge and this meant 12% climbs followed by 12% descents.  Ken was getting slightly dispondent but apple juice revived him and eventually we crossed the Vltava into Hlubokaand from there a wonderful paved cycle track for the 10km into Ceske Budejovice.

Some trouble finding our hotel but we have and have enjoyed a beer in the really lovely town 

Heart 0 Comment 0
I love these doors typical of the area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch time
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hills are over
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fun by the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
The square at night
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,679 km (1,043 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0