The train to Dresden and we are on our way to Prague - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2018

The train to Dresden and we are on our way to Prague

A lovely ride back beside the Elbe

Today was really to be a transition day.  We always rather dread taking bikes on trains as it can very often be a nightmare. We set off as early as possible after breakfast to find the Bahnhof and on the way stumbled on a market just being set up but we couldn't tarry we were on a mission to get to Dresden.  The station had a few steps going up to it but those weren't a problem.  Then to get to our platform.  No functioning lift and very long steep steps to get down and then up again to reach it.  We unloaded the bikes  and transported all the luggage across.  Then back for the bikes.  It was then Ken had his run in with the Police.  "You must never leave baggage unattended". Ken tried to explain we just couldn't manouver the fully laden bikes on such steep steps we weren't strong enough.  They laughed and said didn't we know we were close to Poland - what this had to do it I have no idea at all.  

We have got to the platform
Heart 1 Comment 0
They run regular steam trains fron Zittau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two old ladies sitting on the rubbish bin
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our fears about the train trip were quite unfounded.  We rolled the fully laden bikes onto the tiny train and the pretty young woman drove us through glorious countryside to Dresden.   We had decided that instead of stopping there we would go on a bit and as it was only 10.30 we had plenty of time.  It felt amazing arriving in Dresden - there were cafes, restaurants, Backeries and other shops selling food every where - we felt we had landed in a land of plenty.

Arrived at dresden Hbf
Heart 0 Comment 0
That is part of the Alstadt in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great cycleway
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a surprise that we had no problem at all finding our way to the river and the Radweg.  Today was absolutely glorious weather and the number of cyclists out was really huge.  At no time on our 50km ride to Bad Schandau were we out of sight of other cyclists.  Some were touring but not many most were just either going about their business or on a day trip.  Many of them were riding to one of the many Beirgartens or Restaurants along the route.  It was such a happy scene.

We a far enough south for grapes
Heart 1 Comment 0
A paddle steamer takes people for a cruise
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Bad Schandau, where we are staying is a real tourist town.  It is situated in Saxon Switzerland (which gives you a hint of its terrain) and has extensive forests and strange rock formations.  There are hiking and cycle tracks everywhere and the attractive little town is completely given over to tourism with lots of upmarket hotels and as the name indicates thermal baths for 'wellness'

Everyone was having a good time
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we stopped at a Biergarten we drank apple juice
Heart 1 Comment 0
getting ready for winter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bad Schandau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fantastic rock formations - I don't think I would like to walk over that bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 1,275 km (792 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith ClassenCatching trains can be a real adventure. We had the police carry our bikes and bags up the stairs in Passau a couple years ago. That was one of the good experiences. Another time in Munich we loaded our bikes on the last car where the bike car was supposed to be but wasn’ t for some reason. We only had a minute to get onto the train so we throughour bikes on. We were the only ones in the car. When the attendant climbed aboard and saw us and our bikes in the isle she said “you can’t be here”. I said well we are here. It all worked out but it does raise the blood pressure. Sounds like you had a great day.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Keith ClassenOur worst experience was getting on a train in Budapest = we had been travelling for 2 hours before we found we had got on the train going in the opposite direction
Reply to this comment
5 years ago