Our first day in the Czech Republic - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2018

Our first day in the Czech Republic

Litomerice

We were down early for breakfast as were all the Wanderweggers ready for another day in the mountains.   They are easily recognised with their two walking pools, heavy boots, calf length pants, a small back pack and a very German looking hat.  They look exactly the same as the ones we saw in the Black Forest a few years ago

Our hotel last night was decorated with begonias these are for my friend Dianna
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the river at our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rather than wait for the ferry we decided to go back and go over the bridge.  The day was not nearly as brilliant as yesterday but considerably cooler.  Onto the perfect track and we were off. We were cycling along in a deep gorge which makes for spectacular scenery and a change from the plains we have been going through for such a long time. No farming here but you get the feel that in this beautiful and dramatic place so close to Dresden they are doing a very good job of farming tourists.  Crossing into the Czech Republic was a non event - the sign just told us that we were crossing into Czechoslovakia- rather out of date.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
All along the way are ferries taking you from one side of the river to the other
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like so any of the river boats in Europe at the moment it can't go anywhere while the water is so low
Heart 1 Comment 0
The border is not well defended !
Heart 0 Comment 0
They haven't caught up with the times
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first town of any size we came to was Decin.  Over the flower decorated bridge and the first thing we came across was an ATM.  When you get money out in the Czech Republic you feel like a millionaire as there are around 25K to the Euro.  Next we saw the information down by the river and a place to get a cappuccino for only the equivalent of about 1E.  The signs to our route were obvious and were  to reamain so all day even when we were doing many strange twists and turns.  I had forgotten how well marked the routes are here - we are following route 2 which is also the EV 7 which leads all the way to the Adriatic.  One of the things that I really like in this area is that they haven't been able to resist putting an impressive looking building on every peak.  I suppose these were for defence.  Rather similar is the string of bunkers which are positioned at regular intervals beside the river for about 20kn after Decin. These had been put there by the Czech Army in an effort to halt the advancing Germans in WW2.  I cant see these bunkers without being transported back to my early childhood.  I must have been about 3.  Mum and I were sitting on the beach in Napier leaning against one (Dad was 'away at the war') and a soldier posted a bar of chocolate to me out the slit of one of them - about 76years ago !

The castle at Decin
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now a millionaire
Heart 2 Comment 0
To repulse the approaching Germans about 80years ago
Heart 2 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenI just love this memory! I thought of you both today, but especially Ken when I saw an absolutely ancient tractor being used to feed the chickens. I was so taken with the Italian driver and his friendliness and helpfulness that I forgot to take a picture.
Kathleen
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamWe don't need to do any hills just enjoy yours! The amount of climbing you are doing makes me feel exhausted - what absolutely spectacular country you are going through.
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
A child care had come on an outing
Heart 2 Comment 0
They were having lots of fun
Heart 2 Comment 0
Living in one of these would feel like being a battery hen
Heart 1 Comment 0
An imaginative bridge into Usti
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first 50km were very easy, the track was perfect, there were few hills and we had a very unaccustomed tail wind.  Usti is a very large town, we stopped by the river for our picnic and along came a German couple from Meissen doing their annual cycle trip, they had taken the train to Prague and were riding home.  It is interesting that before you get to the Czech Republic there are lots of pairs of German cyclists on this Radweg but very few of them seem to venture further than the German Tourist towns near the border.  Today however we did see two very large groups clearly on an organised tour with their minder behind them.

After this however things changed, at time the track was very uneven and it seemed to be delighting in taking us up and down hills which were at times very steep

Ken took this exact same photo 9 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were very pleased to get this coffee
Heart 2 Comment 0
Perhaps we will have some of this later
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the end of the day Ken found this Polish UrsusTractor
Heart 2 Comment 0

This evening we will walk into the centre of Litomerice and  find the good restaurant that has been recommended to us by the lady in reception.

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 1,354 km (841 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0