Volissos - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2012

Volissos

From Mesta we followed the southwest coast northward to our day's destination, Volissos. Today's ride was a roller coaster, never gaining much real elevation but rising and falling all day long. We were regularly rewarded with great views of dramatic coastlines.

To us the most interesting sites along the way though were the series of fortified watchtowers (vigla) that guard this part of the Chios coastline. These were built by the Genoese in their occupation many centuries ago, and were still in use in the early 1800's as a defence against piracy. They were built within sight of each other so that their occupants/watchers (viglatora) could communicate by smoke signals. Their design is especially interesting, with no doorways that might provide access to the enemy - instead, access was provided when needed by a ladder tossed down from the roof.

Volissos is an attractive village a bit away from the coast, draped around the fortress at the top of its hill. We stayed for the evening at the tiny fishing village Limnos, and hiked bak up to Volissos for a brief tour before dropping back down to Limnos again for dinner on the waterfront.

The southwest coast. On the headland is a vigla (fortified watchtower).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Overlooking Elata, a small village near the southwest coast
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the string of viglas that guard the Chios coast
Heart 0 Comment 0
More coastline, another vigla
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachael giving scale to a vigla. Note that it has no doors - access was provided by a rope ladder tossed from the ramparts by the resident viglatora (watcher).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Volyssos, from its fortress
Heart 0 Comment 0
The windmill at Volissos
Heart 0 Comment 0
The windmill at Volissos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Volyssos and it's fortress
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pamprika restaurant, our breakfast stop in Volissos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chicken and laundry, Volissos
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 886 miles (1,426 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0