Setting Out - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2012

Setting Out

In the Spring of 2009, Rachael and I visited Greece for the first time, on a 5-week tour (also logged in CGOB) of the Peloponnese and the Cycladic islands. We've done quite a few tours by now but we both thought this was the best ever, wondered why we'd waited so long to visit Greece, and vowed to return soon.

So, here we go again. This time we're sticking to the islands, beginning with 10 days in western Crete and following up with an island-hop from Rhodes to Lesvos. We've decided to fly from Crete to Rhodes because there are very few direct ferry connections, the boat option takes so long that it would cost us at least a day of our trip, and there's little difference in price.

The main thing that's changed since our first trip to Greece is that we're getting around on a pair of Bike Fridays (New World Tourists) this time. We bought them almost immediately after returning from Greece last time because it cost us so much to fly our standard bikes home.

Our logistics plan is to fly in to Chania; have our suitcases shipped forward from there to Heraklion so that we can repack for the flight to Rhodes; and then have them shipped forward again from Rhodes to our end point in Mytilini on Lesvos.

As with our other tours in recent years, we're pretty easy on ourselves - I turned 65 this year, and am not keen on hauling tents over mountains any more - meaning that we travel very light (a pair of panniers each), average about 50 miles per day, and stay in hotels or B&B's. We plan our trips out in detail in advance, with advance reservations for all of our overnight stays and with our routes mapped out and loaded to our handlebar mounted Garmins. It costs some in flexibility and spontaneity, but for us the trade off of knowing we won't get lost and will find a room at the end of the day is worth it.

Oh, yes - the obligatory equipment list. Ours is pretty simple: 2 Bike Fridays ; Panniers; 2 frame pumps; Some clothes - not much, because we don't plan to meet anyone we know, or to get wet; A modest tool kit; Toiletries, sun block, passports, personal effects; Electronics: Garmin CSX360 GPS units; a Panasonoc LX5; 2 iPads; An android cell phone; A zillion rechargers.

That's about it. Turn the page, and let's get to work!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0