Chania - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2012

Chania

At the Portland airport our Bike Fridays worked as intended - no hassle, no extra fees. We really appreciate being able to treat our bikes as normal luggage at the airport, and of course avoid those exhorbitent oversized baggage fees.

We arrived in Chania in the early evening after a happily incident-free flight (four-legged, with intermediate stops in Seattle, Frankfurt and Thessaloniki), and after arriving by taxi at the Bozzali hotel we checked in and went off to find a quick meal on the harbor. After returning from dinner, Rachael crashed for the night and I reassembled the bikes. Reassembly went smoothly, and after an hour or so we were ready to roll.

We stayed in Chania for three nights, leaving us time to have a good look at what was advertized as a great city as well as to see some of the west end of the island on a pair of day rides. The city fully lived up to our expectations, and made a terrific introduction to Crete. It's very colorful and interesting, and a great place to just wander around exploring.

Also, I'd like to put in a plug here for the Bozzali Hotel, which was both a fine place to stay and very accommodating. Through advance agreement, they took care of getting our luggage moved forward to our Final Cretan hotel in Iraklion, where we would need them again for the flight on to Rhodes. It was very helpful to have someone else take over the arrangements for this so we could make the most of our time visiting Chania.

Hotel Bozzali, our home in Chania
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chania's waterfront, backed by the White Mountains
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the waterfront, Chania
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chania's Venetian lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chania's minaret
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chania's Venetian harbor
Heart 1 Comment 0
Washing down the ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
Campaniles and minarets
Heart 0 Comment 0
The alleys and pedestrianized streets of Chania's old town are wonderful to explore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Successful sales pitch on the waterfront
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0