Agia Galini - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2012

Agia Galini

The ride across the island to the southern coast might have been our favorite ride on Crete. It was of course hilly (everywhere in Crete is), but not overly so - we gradually gained elevation as we crossed a series of three ridges that finally topped out at 2000 feet and then dropped to the coast at the night's stay at Agia Galini.

Along the way, we passed through lovely, quiet, very scenic country. It would have made a fine two day ride actually, perhaps with an overnight in Spili. The route we chose took us through Prasies, Amari, Apostoli, Monastiraki, and Fourfouras.

Agia Galini, a small resort, was pleasant and fairly quiet this early in the season. It's another place where we had considered staying two nights and wished we had - it would be a nice base for hiking along the coast, or catching a ferry to one of the villages to the west. As it was, we greatly enjoyed lounging for a bit on the beach before enjoying the catch of the day on the waterfront at the Kosmas taverna.

The mouth of Prassano Gorge. Western Crete is crosshatched by dramatic gorges like this one south of Rethymnon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Driving the flock through the Cretan interior, near Monastriaki
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheep rule the road!
Heart 0 Comment 0
An eccentric shrine, north of Agia Galini
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mount Ida, near Fourfouras
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mount Ida and a roadside chapel, near Apodoulou
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stairway to the upper town, Agia Galini
Heart 0 Comment 0
Duck down, Agia Galini
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cooling off before dinner, Agia Galini
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for the catch of the day, Agia Galini
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 245 miles (394 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0