Moni Arkadi - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2012

Moni Arkadi

For our layover day in Rethymnon, we took a loop ride to Arkadi monastery in the hills to the southeast. This was more or less a rest day, easing up a bit before crossing the island to the south. The route to Arkadi was a gradual 1700 foot climb that began as soon as we left the coast at Platanias. On the way back we bumped up and down a bit back to the coast at Stavromenos and then enjoyed a flat but busy ride back to Chania along the coast highway. Again we had fine but warm weather - we really have arrived at an excellent time for cycling. The monastery itself, a national monument to Cretan resistance to Turkish rule, made an interesting destination.

One unexpected highlight of the day came at Adehe when we crossed paths with Ken and Maria Cohen, a pair of fellow Bike Friday tourists. They were nearing completion of their loop of western Crete, and we enjoyed swapping notes with them. We felt a bit humbled though, seeing the loads they were hauling behind them in their suitcase/trailers. Hardier (and younger) stock than we are, I'm afraid!

Grape trellis, Moni Arcadi
Heart 1 Comment 0
Moni Arcadi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken and Maria Cohen, hauling their Bike Friday suitcases through the mountains of Crete, put us with our light loads to shame.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 202 miles (325 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0