Zaros - Cycling Greece, Part 2 - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2012

Zaros

Today's ride began with a stiff 600 foot climb back up from Agia Galini to the somewhat busy coast highway, which we then followed to the east through Timbaki until we left it for quieter roads and a visit to the great Minoan ruins at Faestos. Although this was the main highway, at least at this time of year it was fairly quiet and made for comfortable cycling - and not too busy for the occasional sheep drive to shut down the traffic.

From Faistos we continued eastward on minor roads before turning north for another visit to an architectural site, this time at ancient Gortyn. The ruins themselves were interesting, but what we appreciated most of all were the delicious fresh oranges and strawberries from a roadside fruitstand there.

Beyond Gortyn, the weather changed and for the first time we faced prospects of getting wet. As we worked our way north the sky grew steadily greyer ahead, eventually developing into a thunder and lightning show over Mount Ida. For about 10 miles were anxiously scouting the empty countryside for plausible spots to hide out, and we did come in for a bit of rain; but it never amounted to much where we were. By the time we rolled in to Zaros in the early afternoon the skies were clearing - just in time for our planned hike into Rouvas Gorge.

The hike itself was beyond memorable, and deserves its own page. Stay tuned.

Everyone yields to the sheep, east of Agia Galini
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ruins of ancient Phaistos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Southern Crete, from the ruins of Phaistos
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ancient Gortyn
Heart 0 Comment 0
North of Gortyn; the colorful Cretan interior
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vegera, a traditional cafe in Zaros
Heart 0 Comment 0
The owners of Keramos hotel, Vegera cafe, and Rachael
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 283 miles (455 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0