Getting to Geneva - Geneva South through the Western Alps - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2017

Getting to Geneva

June 25 and 26

Everything worked more or less as planned. Our son drove us to the Vancouver International Airport, well ahead of our flight. We had a full car: us with all our gear plus our son's girlfriend whose flight to Greenland for work left 45 minutes ahead of ours. She had a lot of gear that had to make all the connections, the same concern we had. Everybody was happy to be plenty early!

We each watched two movies on the leg to Montreal. Then, with almost 3 hours at Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport (allowing our baggage to make the connection too), we had a late lunch. Our flight to Geneva included "dinner" and it was a good thing we weren't too hungry. After that, I tried to sleep and I think I succeeded for a bit, but not much. We arrived in Geneva sleep-deprived but functioning.

The service at the Holiday Inn Express near the airport was good. A frequent shuttle, no problem building our bikes outside on the shady side, no problem storing our bags until our return in 3 weeks. The room was basic but had everything we needed.

After bike assembly and showers, we took a tram into the centre of Geneva. Did I mention that the hotel provided transit passes for our stay? We walked around, got some Swiss Francs, and had crepes at a small restaurant. The crepes were made with buckwheat flour and were surprisingly filling, though I suspect that was due to the large amount of cheese on them. Al said his was tasty, but on mine both the mushrooms and asparagus were canned. Not up to French standards, but we aren't in France yet.

Al found a survey monument to add to his photo collection.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We walked out to the Jet d'Eau. That's me but the guy isn't Al.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not where I'd eat again...
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our goal was to stay up until 8 but we weren't going to make it. I kept nodding off on the 25-minute tram ride back to the hotel. But of course, once in our room and horizontal, I couldn't get to sleep again.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0