Geneva to Annecy - Geneva South through the Western Alps - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2017

Geneva to Annecy

We dragged ourselves out of bed, neither of us having slept well. Packed up, ate at the okay-but-not-great hotel breakfast buffet (superior to that at most chain hotels in North America but not really up to European standard) and got on our bikes, destination Annecy.

We both searched Annemasse in our bike computers and got different routes. That was odd, same computers (Garmin Edge 810), same map (Openfietsmap Lite for France, from the same download). Even after checking to make sure we had the same navigation settings, we were still getting different instructions. Added to the usual difficulties following the navigation cues, it took us some time to get through and out of Geneva proper.

The original plan was to go over Le Salève but given our late and slow start, we decided to skip the big climb and take D 15 instead. At Cruseilles, we searched for our hotel in Annecy and after a short stretch on an unpleasant, busy part of D 15, we followed back roads into the city. We then did our usual city circles but ended at our hotel at a decent hour.

We rode the first bit of this climb, since it corresponded to our route. Then we didn't take the turn. In fact, I don't think I even saw it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our route took us over the Pont Suspendu Charles-Albert. It's now a pedestrian and cycling bridge, parallel to the "new" concrete arch bridge (opened 1932) that carries the roadway across the gorges of the river Usses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Le Pont Suspendu Charles-Albert
Heart 0 Comment 0
Le Pont Suspendu Charles-Albert
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gorge of the Usses
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After cleaning up, out to explore. The hotel proprietor gave us a city map and suggested we look for a restaurant along Rue St Claire. It was far to early for dinner so we walked through the old town and along the lakeshore path, trying to stay awake.

In old Annecy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting waterfowl, Lac d'Annecy. See the baby on its back?
Heart 2 Comment 3
Scott AndersonGreat! A great crested grebe.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonThanks for the id! I like the baby's stripes.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetYup. Maybe even better than baby turkeys.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Another funny-looking waterfowl, Lac d'Annecy
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner was excellent! Salad, steak with yummy accompaniments, cheese, and dessert, with an aperitif before and wine with. 

First course was a salad
Heart 0 Comment 0
Followed by pavé de boeuf with green peppercorn sauce. Dessert was a strawberry tart that disappeared before I remembered to take a picture!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old Annecy canal in the evening light
Heart 0 Comment 0

64 km, ascent 703 m, descent 649 m

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 64 km (40 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0