Williamsport to Brunswick - Six weeks on the Great American Rail Trail plus! - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2022

Williamsport to Brunswick

Also known as Knoxville

Some of us wanted to avoid the muddy rutted C&O so Nancy offered a new cue sheet that started us out on paved country roads. We could either rejoin the C& or continue on paved roads to Harper's Ferry. John, Hope, and I chose the shorter section of country roads rejoining the C&O where it has been redone and has a good packed gravel surface that is a pleasure to ride. When we got to Harper's Ferry it was jammed with walkers and riders and we John and I decided not to go over the huge bridge into town as we had done it years before and knew it was a very crowded tourist attraction. The trail was in such good shape we had a nice ride to Brunswick where we stopped at a great coffee shop - Beans in the Belfry. We met up with Hope and Margaret S. there and shortly after Sharon and Margaret G. A nice trail through Brunswick brought us to our Holiday Inn Express. Sad to say that Margaret Smith is leaving us today. She lives fairly near by and went home. Her time with us was always planned to be just a few nights. We have ridden often with Margaret S. and enjoyed the short visit with her we had on this trip!

This huge very high railroad bridge was quite impressive. Just after we rode past it, a very long freight train went over it. It was so long we didn't even wait to see the caboose!
Heart 0 Comment 0
John checking aout the trail map of the C&O. We were getting quite near the bottom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here's the map he was looking at. We missed that very curvy part at near the top by cutting across on the paved country roads. We joined back on at Taylor's Landing. You can see why our day was 6 miles shorter than on the original plan which had us on the C&O trail from Williamsport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Several of the parks we went through were Trash Free Parks. - Take in; Take out. They even provided green trash bags. There were NO trash bins in the park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In case you weren't sure which trail you're on!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beans in the Belfry. An interesting use of a sanctuary that was no longer in a church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice stained glass windows. Our church at home is engaged in a restoration project of our stained glass windows so I was especially interested in these.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 1,285 miles (2,068 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0