Through Wind and Cold to Avoca from Council Bluffs - Six weeks on the Great American Rail Trail plus! - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2022

Through Wind and Cold to Avoca from Council Bluffs

And hilly!

First day on the road. It was cold!!! 42 degrees with strong head winds much of the day so we were cold! But it was great to be riding again. I thought Iowa was flat but not the case at least here in the western section. We did ride through some beautiful farming country which was what I had expected.

After the first 8 miles we wound up with a detour that added 3 miles to the ride so we did make it to 50. There is quite a lot of road construction. We' ll see how it goes tomorrow.

Chuck coming back from the knee deep mud construction blocking the path. We had to return 4 miles to catch a detour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The detour started at the bridge from Council Bluffs to Omaha. This interesting statue was at the entrance to the pedestrian/bicycle bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nancy returned from the construction point to meet us all and lead us through the detour. Nancy is one of our trip leaders. She did a great job navigating the detour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And once out of the suburbs we reached the farm land. This was one of the first corn (stubble) fields we saw! Finally!!!
Heart 0 Comment 3
Ed StodolaUgh! Appears to be a challenging beginning. Good to see you bundled up and on the road. Chuck, you are looking good. Cindy and Nancy -- you look happy, I think. Looking forward to seeing y'all in Pittsburgh. We are still in Florida but will return to Kentucky for the summer this weekend.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Cindy SenningTo Ed StodolaHi Ed - We;re looking forward to seeing you and Justin in just a few weeks! Today we shuttled as the forecast added rain to the wind and hills! Cindy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Cindy SenningTo Ed StodolaHi Ed - We;re looking forward to seeing you and Justin in just a few weeks! Today we shuttled as the forecast added rain to the wind and hills! Cindy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 50 miles (80 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Lucy MartinWelcome to Iowa: 40s-60s this week (and rainy), forecast for 80s next week (starting Monday). Classic Iowa weather.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Cindy SenningHi Lucy, Thanks for the welcome! We're looking forward to those 70's and 89's next week!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago