Richmond IN to Xenia Ohio - Six weeks on the Great American Rail Trail plus! - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2022

Richmond IN to Xenia Ohio

And on to the next state!

This was a very interesting day. We started out on county and town roads for the first 38 miles which brought us into downtown Dayton Ohio on the Miami River.  We were supposed to be going down some steps to the riverside (that's not easy with our quite heavy ebikes) but wound up  on the Miami River Rec Trail for about a mile or two and then had go UP stairs to get to a bridge to take us across the Miami River. Of course I did not lift my bike up by myself. Ken actually carried some of the other bikes up by himself. John and I go mine half way up, then Ken took over and he and John did my bike the rest of the way and John's. It was quite impressive.

Then John Ken and I went into the downtown and had a great lunch at an Indian buffet spot just a few blocks off the trail. It was really relaxing. 

Then back on the bikes and three trails: The Miami River Rec Trail, The Mad River Trail, and the Creekside Trail for a total of about 20 miles. As I said it was an interesting day with a little bit of everything!!

I come from a state of covered bridges (Vermont). It was fun to see a covered bridge (first of the trip) in another state.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A huge field of Butterweed. It certainly does grow prolifically. Is invasive always a problem? Apparently if it's "native" maybe not. I just wonder how it affects the agriculture of the area. Beautiful to look at but???
Heart 0 Comment 0
And some more People We Meet: These two ladies, Lois and Angela, were running a nature and trail center along the route outside of Dayton. They were psyched to see a bike group on their Wolf Creek Trail. It was fun to meet them. They took pics of us for their newsletter and we took pics of them. Left to right: Hope, Lois, Angela, Margaret, and Sharon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These parasols were above the outdoor tables at our Indian restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
John and Ken enjoying our buffet lunch outside on a Dayton sidewalk. It was a fun lunch and we enjoyed the break, the city life, and the good food.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 956 miles (1,539 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0