Meyersdale to Cumberland - Six weeks on the Great American Rail Trail plus! - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2022

Meyersdale to Cumberland

This is another of the great sections of trail that we've ridden on this trip. The Great Allegheny Passage has lots to offer Miles of scenic views, wooded sections, and special sites. Basically you climb the first 8 miles or so to the Easten Continental Divide, then through the Big Savage Tunnel, and then the Mason Dixon Lne.  Also at Frostburg there was a really interesting display of sculptures made from bicycle wheels (see photos). that was a long downhill from the Divide to  Cumberland where the Trail ends. We had a beautiful day weatherwise and a fun ride.  

An iron bridge on the Great Allegheny Passage. It was moved here from up stream. It's identified by the iron design in the upper corners. The iron bridge was put together in parts. It didn't require welding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
John and me at the western entrance to the tunnel marking the Eastern Continental Divide. All water on this side will wind up in the Gulf of Mexico.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sharon and Margaret G. at the Eastern entrance to the tunnel. All water on this side will go to the Chesepeak Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An elevation chart of the GAP from west to east (right to left - see the distances at the bottom). A long ascent to the tunnel and a steep descent away from it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A frequently taken photo. This is a great view that greets you as you exit the easten side of the tunnel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Mason Dixon Line
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pennsylvania on the left. Maryland on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Straddling two states!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sign explained what it was all about!
Heart 0 Comment 0
John is sitting on the line. It goes straight back to the marker post I shot at the beginning of this series.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stan in Pennsylvania; me in Maryland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unfortunately this shot is a little blurred but it does show this interesting sculpture. There were six of these along this hillside in Frostburg. So cool!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One mile to go on the Great Allegheny Passage!
Heart 0 Comment 0
And in Cumberland the GAP ends! We've been following the mileage countdown since Pittsburg,
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 1,163 miles (1,872 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0