New Toys, Old Goals - Grampies Go to Florida Spring 2015 - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2015

New Toys, Old Goals

The radiology people at the hospital today thought it strange that I was back for more shoulder images, but the orthopedic specialist wanted to make sure that I was really ok. Any doubts he may have had were erased when I showed off my new tricks of raising my arm forward to head height and sideways to about 45 degrees. After all, it's barely over three weeks since the crash. The Florida doctor would have still had the arm immobilized for three weeks more.

To cover all bases, a further MRI is planned. That would show any rotator cuff tears. But based on my arm demonstration, no surgery is going to be needed either way.

So what does that mean? First off, it is OK to pick up our fallen plan and get on down to Montreal. We phoned Amelia and Evee (and little Joseph) to let them know. And we will pass by Seattle while we are at it.

Second, the doc says that if all goes well, he will put me back on my bike when we return (in about 4 weeks). Back on my bike. That is big, big, news.

And third, there is no reason to change our earlier goal, to cycle up to 5000 km in Europe starting late summer.

This is not to say that the disability is all over. Not by a long shot. I still can barely put my hand in my pocket. And though I may be able to get my arm horizontal in front, it can not lift a one pound weight.

That's where the new toys come in. Failing a one pound weight, I have a can of soup. It weighs 3/4 pound, and further is "culturally correct", being a can of French Canadian Pea Soup. Then I have a studded ball, for massaging the pec minor muscle, and I have a walking stick, for helping the arm through range of motion exercise.

Finally I have red and green (different weights) stretchy bands. Working against their resistance is hard and they seem tough. That is, until I try it with my other (right) hand. Hmpph, they are nothing! Soon enough my left too will show them who is boss.

I am eager to show these toys to the kids. If I am right, they will find them intriguing and will encourage me to use them.

But back on my bike - that's the day I am really waiting for.

New toys, correct soup.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0