How it came out for us. - Grampies Go to Florida Spring 2015 - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2015

How it came out for us.

First off, we must admit, Grampies did Ride Again! Not only that, but in a week they are setting off for another 4500 km spin around France and this time, Spain. We are still freaked by traffic and I can not exactly scratch my back. But I can pull up my own pants and we are still cycling. So..fine, I guess.

After two years of essentially no action, the lawyer did organize a court appointed mediator to help resolve the case. In the mediation, the lawyer was eloquent. But ultimately the truck driver's insurance company had the advantage, and we accepted a modest settlement. It was still lots more than that original $5,000 request.

ICBC agreed to pay part of the legal fees out of its share of the settlement. Overall, they were reasonable and did well by us over the whole experience.

It would be interesting to know how the lawyer did, in terms of the effective return per hour. There were actually dozens and dozens of emails and phone calls back and forth over the two years. Maybe it turned out fair.

We are glad that we can now completely close this book. We are looking to next week, to Paris, to Lourdes, to Santiago de Compostella, and to many more years of fun rides!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0