Antwerp: cycling in the city - A Flanders Fling - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2017

Antwerp: cycling in the city

Yesterday evening we had already spotted a cafe for today's breakfast. We were up early and headed straight for it. Were our legs ever tired and stiff! We limped all the way to breakfast, hoping we would feel a little more limber as the day progressed. The sore muscles weren't from pedaling - we had already done enough kilometers to be over that - but from all the walking we had done in the streets of Ghent, mainly to the hospital and back.

It was a Sunday and the streets of Antwerp looked very peaceful so we decided to do our sightseeing by bike. This turned out to be a good decision. Some of the things we wanted to visit were far apart, too far for walking, and our time here seemed to be too short to get acquainted with public transportation.

Our first destination was the Palace of Justice which we had gotten a glimpse of on our way into the city yesterday. It had made us curious and we rode back today to get a better look. On our way we passed the flower market. It was already hot and we were glad to be on our bikes, if just for the breeze.

A hot day at the flower market
Heart 1 Comment 0
Palace of Justice - Some Antwerpian nicknames for the building are "the sharks" or "bag of fries"
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another nickname for the Palace of Justice is "The Six Dwarfs". Yes, there are some tram tracks in Antwerp, too, but not so many. Notice that they are clearly marked so that hapless cyclists don't overlook them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is the "Bag of Fries" referred to.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was easy cycling back to the historic center along the Schelde.

View of the Cathedral of Our Lady/Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal from the Promenade along the Schelde.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Promenade along the Schelde
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some more fries - aka French fries or chips - on the promenade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Schelde, Het Steen is a small castle dating from 1200.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We locked up our bikes and took our time soaking up the atmosphere around the Grote Markt. Again I thought this was grandest Market Square I had ever seen. But I said the same thing in Leuven, Brussels and Ghent. I would be hard put to say which one made the biggest impression on me.

Grote Markt - Market Square
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBeautiful facades!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The most intact and impressive Market Square so far. But I say that every time.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bicycles for rent
Heart 1 Comment 0
Brass band playing in front of the cathedral
Heart 4 Comment 0
Life style in Antwerp
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even in the city center you can find a few cosy back streets if you know where to look.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our last stop for the day was Antwerp's Beguinage. I have always been fascinated by the Beguines. The Beguines were a group of religious women who lived and dressed like nuns, without taking formal vows. They often lived together in small communes known as Beguinages. Unlike nuns, Beguines were allowed to leave if they wanted to. They were part of a larger spiritual revival movement of the thirteenth century that stressed imitation of Christ's life through voluntary poverty, care of the poor and sick, and religious devotion. (Wikipedia)

Inside the medieval Beguinage - a tranquil oasis
Heart 2 Comment 0
Today about forty houses remain of Antwerp's Beguinage, most dating back to the seventeenth century. Throughout the centuries, the buildings have been modified and renovated many times.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And a final word before I close for the day:

Stop and eat the flowersMost of us are too much in a hurry and just smell them :)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 652 km (405 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0