Ghent - Antwerp: the show goes on - A Flanders Fling - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2017

Ghent - Antwerp: the show goes on

I didn't include yesterday in my journal. It was another day of walking around and discovering more of Ghent - and waiting. When I called to find out the results of the lab work, I was asked to return to the hospital to pick up a new prescription, guaranteed to kill off the culprit bacteria that were plaguing me. I must say I got excellent care at the hospital in Ghent - all of which was completely covered by my German health insurance which gives me the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in all of the EU.

The trip could continue. The general direction was now homeward-bound and we were looping back to Germany by way of Antwerp. Today's ride was very flat, the scenery wasn't sensational, but we enjoyed seeing what would come up next and were curious to see what Antwerp had in store.

Goodbye Ghent - not all of Ghent was picturesque
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flat today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some variety with woods
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some rough surfaces, but ok
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped in Lokeren for a coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much of our route followed the train tracks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Had a picnic here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of residential areas on our route
Heart 1 Comment 0
More train tracks - They all look more or less the same but make for easy riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Sint-Niklaas is Belgium's largest market square.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's a huge market square!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Here is St. Nick in person, in the background a newly-wed couple and the wedding party posing for the photographer.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The highlight of my day - a tunnel under the Schelde - with lifts at either end - just for pedestrians and cyclists. It was a long tunnel and the only pedestrians I saw were actually joggers out for a run.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding through the tunnel under the Schelde - what an impressive infrastructure for bicycle traffic! Now why doesn't the rest of the world catch on?
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThere's a shorter tunnel similar to this by the Pentagon...but you're REQUIRED to walk your bike! Good you could ride!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The exit of the tunnel
Heart 2 Comment 0
Train station in Antwerp, and lots of bicycles
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 642 km (399 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0