Three days in Mainz: Saint Stephans with its amazing Marc Chagall windows and a cool bike shop. - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2013

Three days in Mainz: Saint Stephans with its amazing Marc Chagall windows and a cool bike shop.

We found an amazing bike shop in Mainz - don't we always. We loved looking at their unique bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI love looking at different bike shops too. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Surly bikes are popular at home - but this one is a unique model - huge tires.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great bike shop in Mainz.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Carnival is a huge annual event in Mainz - the Carnival fountain is extraordinary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Carnival fountain is filled with whimsical detail - it requires a close look to appreciate its complex design.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This statue also reenforces that Mainz is a city of carnivals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting doors leading in to Saint Stephans Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is hard to capture the magic of the Chagall windows in the altar of Saint Stephans.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saint Stephans Church in Mainz is unique in that 8 of the windows were created by the artist Marc Chagall.
The Church had suffered extensive damage during WWII (1942, 1944 and 1945). The bishop had asked Chagall to design the windows and he agreed to design the windows as a message of peace and, being Jewish, he hoped to build a bridge between Jews and Christians.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marc Chagall's signature on one of the panels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
He painted these panels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A new pipe organ has been installed in Saint Stephans. Many concerts are hosted here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the three side panels, Chagall chose to use colour and design to create the message. The colour blue bathes the church in a serene and calming ambience.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of one of the side windows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The five windows in the altar feature much painted detail in Marc Chagall's unique style. It is hard to describe the beauty and atmosphere these unique stained glass panels provide. We sat in this church for some time, just taking it in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The courtyard of the church is a serene spot with many pieces rescued from the church after bombings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Damaged panel from the war.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have had an amazing time visiting this church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An enchanting fountain in one of the many large squares in the old town of Mainz.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Much of Mainz was destroyed during WWII, however, the old section has been carefully restored,
Heart 0 Comment 0
This fountain was outside a plumbing store.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Street musicians were performing in many of the squares. We really enjoyed the level of musicianship - but oddly, groups we saw (as well as a classical brass quintet) included Frank Sinatra's "My Way".
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Mainz Don.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Brass Quintet were very talented - but they ended their set with "My Way" as well. Why is this tune so popular here?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This red wheel symbol is emblematic of the city of Mainz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful buildings around a square.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0