Riding hills and enduring jet-lag: Cowichan Bay to Saltspring Island - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2013

Riding hills and enduring jet-lag: Cowichan Bay to Saltspring Island

Last night, we decided to leave our bike overnight at the school rather than riding on to Cowichan Bay. Marilyn's home is about an hour further by bike and we wanted to spend time visiting, rather than getting there. Plus we are hoping that the headwind will subside by tomorrow.
We had a nice visit with her and enjoyed dinner watching a movie - something that we haven't done for a while.

We got up early and went back to Marilyn's school to get our bike and begin the ride home. Some of the staff were interested to see our bike and hear about our trip.

We are having trouble getting over jet lag - but we are glad that we chose to ride our bike home and compete the journey on our own steam.

Mary Ellen's sister Marilyn is principal at Frances Kelsey Secondary School. We went to school with her in the morning, ready to head out on the final leg of our journey home to Salt Spring Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The highway was quiet on this sunny October morning. We appreciated that as well as the wide shoulder on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This reminds us that we are home in Canada now. We rarely choose to ride on highways, we prefer secondary roads and trails. However, we only have to ride on this road for a few miles before we can turn off onto quieter and smaller roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lovely Cowichan Valley.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It must be Cowichan Valley - home to farms and horses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked the fall themed wagon decoration in this yard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast at Cowichan Bay Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The breakfast was very good, and the view from our table was beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sea lions return every fall for a few weeks to this area - here is one of the early returnees, preening and enjoying the sunny day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
4 sea lions are sharing this dock - and they do love to talk. Soon there will be 50 - 60 returning to this bay to feed before heading off.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A shuttle boat to Genoa Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bakery in Cowichan Bay Village. The businesses and homes along this road front on to the road and the rear is directly on the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yeah, our last parcel with extra maps and clothing just arrived from Denmark. We had mailed it to Marilyn - so we get to take it home with us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The jet lag and our heavy load made the hills from Mill Bay to Crofton harbour seem especially hard today. We're almost home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fishing boat at Crofton harbour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first view of home - Saltspring Island is the hill in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wee ferry we take to come home. It is returning from Saltspring to Crofton - Saltspring is in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The final ferry ride for our bike too before it gets to go home
Heart 0 Comment 0
A map of bike routes on Saltspring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loading the ferry and looking back to Crofton. We are so lucky to be returning with such good weather.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just off the ferry at Vesuvius ferry termial - only a few km to go.....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We live near Ganges village, 3 km away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saltspring Centre Hall - the home to our local movie theatre by night, and mullti function community hall by day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 3,152 km (1,957 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0