Spodsbjerg (Langeland) to Maribo (Lolland): Island Hopping - Ferries and Quiet Country Roads - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2013

Spodsbjerg (Langeland) to Maribo (Lolland): Island Hopping - Ferries and Quiet Country Roads

Being Island residents in Canada, ferries are a way of life for us at home. Nonetheless, it was an exciting start to this day in Denmark - each Island has a unique identity and hopping on a ferry makes this an easy way to experience and appreciate these differences.

A lovely, calm crossing on the ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our ferry, the Lolland (named after the island).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Studying the information map at the ferry - we are curious about the island as our guidemap is dated from 2000 and it says that this island has no signage. We are hopeful that this has changed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shows our starting point today at Tars off the ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry was quite comfortable and new. We ate our own museli breakfast in the bistro and enjoyed Cafe Creme courtesy of the ferry. The weather has really changed from a few days ago - no wind! This gave us a smoother crossing than the ferry ride from Fynshav. Today the water was completely slack.

Today we are cycling from Tars to Maribo. Our route is not on this map - the regional cycle routes that we are following wind in a circuitous fashion around the countryside.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Approaching Lolland we were struck by how flat this island is. Only the trees gave the appearance of any elevation. Route 8 took us on a winding route through country roads and along the water on a single track trail (good surface for loaded bikes) to Lolland's largest city, Nakskov.

We wondered if the trail would be a good surface for us - but it proved to be excellent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Protected forest land in South Lolland.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Tourist Office had great maps and resources for us. This 700 year old merchant's town has renovated houses, merchant yards and a large pedestrian area and town square. We noticed a lower level of affluence in this area.

Contrary to what our guide book says, there IS cycle route signage on this island - yeah!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vast, open landscapes on Lolland.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Side by side tandem - but who is the captain?
Heart 2 Comment 0

With the help of the detailed cycling map we had just purchased, we decided to explore the island on Regional Routes 30 and 89 rather than the National Route #8. This gave us a most satisfying ride through rural hamlets on very quiet country roads. We saw very few cars or cyclists - and the scenery was quite beautiful. At times, we also rode through protected forests.

We finished our day in Maribo - the Tourist Office had recommended that we explore this exceptional area. The campground is on a lake bordering Natural Park Maribo Lakeland. As Kaj Munk, poet and priest said of his birthplace: "There are possibly places just as beautiful as this in the world, but none is more beautiful than Maribo". He may be biased, but we agree that this is a special place. We were also recommended to ride the 30 km cycle route that explores this park area of lakes and protected forest. We'll see if we have time tomorrow.

In Halsted, this church caught our eye - the Kloster was erected in 1849, the back wing in 1591 and the church in the 12th century. Beautiful grounds and graveyard around the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Danish churches that we have seen, seem to share this style of simplicity with exquisite wood carving and some painted scenes. It creates a serene atmosphere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This painting at the entrance of the church shows the clergy in their traditional clothing. Interestingly, there are paintings in the church of the recent clergy and they are attired the same way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All homes and buildings in this area had this royal crest on the front of their home or gate post.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
No need for explanation - the plight of every touring cyclist.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tandem and trailer....motorcycle and trailer?! Barry was considering his options.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another reason for us to love Denmark - cats!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This family has been making honey since 1866.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltDid you buy some of the Danish honey at the roadside stand?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry BartlettTo Charmaine RuppoltAfter we had a full bottle of olive leak in our panniers, we have been careful about carrying sticky or oily products. However, the honey was very tempting.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Fresh picked and delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is harvest season and we are seeing many farm stands on these islands. Today, they had honey and apples.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This horse galloped across the field to have a visit - and perhaps an apple.
Heart 1 Comment 0
...and his buddy came too.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not sure what this cat had in its mouth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many ducks at the lake and onshore at the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen spilled some of our museli and these ducks cleaned it up very nicely.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The lake at Maribo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A picnic lunch at Halsted by the road as we try to decide which road to take to Maribo. Lunch is the usual fresh bun, cheese, tomatoes, apple juice and coffee.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe birds look like cormorants -
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 2,013 km (1,250 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0