Maribo to Stubbekobing: Exceptional Danish hospitality and eagerness to provide assistance - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2013

Maribo to Stubbekobing: Exceptional Danish hospitality and eagerness to provide assistance

The woman who owns Maribo So Camping started our day in a positive way. Having an official camping card is essential in Europe and a requirement in Denmark. It also provides Passport details which means you don't have to hand over your passport when you check in. As we had left our BCAA Camping Card at the previous campground, she offered to phone them and request a fax of our card - she made multiple copies and delivered it to us with a smile. Otherwise we would have had to have bought a new one. Maribo So campground is in a beautiful location on the lake and has wonderful facilities - yet, it is the owner's big smile, positive attitude and infectious enthusiasm for her campground that make this place special. Maribo So Camping - highly recommended.

Camping at Maribo So by the lake
Heart 1 Comment 0
We loved camping at her campground, Maribo So and we credit her energy and hard work with its success.
Heart 1 Comment 0
"The Boss" and so she is - a good sense of humor! We like that she rides the Danish bike: Kildemoes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen loves maps - and as usual she is studying the map to find the best route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ducks "own" Maribo and its surroundings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the aisle, the pews at the end of each row have wonderful carvings of amusing faces - each carving is unique to each row.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pews with carved faces.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local bakery in Maribo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Market square in Maribo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This commemorates Princess Leonora Christina's life and death at the Abbey, Maribo Cathedral. She is buried here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We visited two Tourist Offices on our journey today - Maribo and Saskobing. We have been unable to get detailed cycling maps for the area beyond this island and we have been using local knowledge to find the best route. We experienced wonderful service and helpfulness at both places.

Melanie was so helpful and friendly at the Tourist Office in Maribo. She explained the folktale of why we see trolls everywhere in Denmark.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Saskobing, she shared her own experiences cycling in the area and showed us a way that wasn't on the map. It proved to be a great way to go.

The Tourist Office in Saskobing was most helpful and lived up to what you hope for - she made our journey onward special.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Maribo Cathedral, overlooking the lake, was worth a stop. It was originally a Bridgettine Abbey and dates back to the 1400's. Its beautifully landscaped grounds and well preserved history of the area and resident monks and nuns (notably Princess Leonora Christina who lived here in the 1600's and is buried here) help to highlight the significance of Maribo over the centuries.

Maribo Cathedral
Heart 1 Comment 0
Maribo Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0

Crossing the bridge from Lolland to Falster, we were enjoying riding on quiet roads in the country rather than following route 8 through the urban congestion of Nykobing. As we rode across the northern part of the island (Falster) to Stubbekobing, we reflected on the helpfulness of the people we had met today. All of the people we met today, gave us so much of their time and were so eager to be of service.

Checking in to the campground at Stubbekobing, Lissy offered us a free visitor pass to the library so that we could get internet. We enjoyed talking to her and getting tips on how to improve our "speaking" in Danish.

Checking in at the campground in Stubbekobing - Lissy (pronounced Lissu!) was very helpful and tried to teach us Danish pronunciation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We can relate to this poster.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lissy - we enjoyed talking to her.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks to Lissy, we had free access to a library and internet - what a gift when travelling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching Stubbekobing, the wind was high and we marvelled at the skill of these rowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset at Stubbekobing - the campground has a beautiful location on the water's edge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This trail is in front of the Stubbekobing campground and takes you to town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A couple camping at the campground (from Bremerhaven in Germany) invited us to join them for a glass of wine and conversation. We shared many laughs, told them about our travels and heard much about their travels in Sweden. A delightful end to a good day.

After talking to them about Sweden, we are thinking that it may be a good future destination for us. We have always heard that it is quite expensive, but we learned that it is probably less so than Denmark.

We know that it is juvenile, but these signs make us smile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carrying on with the troll theme, this painted ad for an optical store features owls and a troll.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saskobing - the town that smiles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A statue in Saskobing to honour the Polish women who came here to work in the beet fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quiet roads from Saskobing to Stubbekobing - we rode these roads instead of the official route, thanks to the Tourist Office in Saskobing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cathedrals in this region are a bright red colour, and due to the flat landscape, these are visible for miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tractor museum - Mary Ellen's dad used a vintage tractor at his wood lot in Ontario to collect sap for maple syrup... and, since spending time with Justus and Georg and their vintage tractors, we find ourselves drawn to them.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 2,085 km (1,295 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0