Faaborg to Spodsbjerg: No rain, no wind, no traffic - an idyllic day of cycling in Denmark - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2013

Faaborg to Spodsbjerg: No rain, no wind, no traffic - an idyllic day of cycling in Denmark

We had a wonderful stay in Faaborg at Faaborg ByFerie - our little touch of home for a night. We cooked dinner in our wee apartment, watched Danish TV which has many programs in English (saw the British show,Heartbeat and a movie with Robert de Niro, Guilty by Suspicion) plus we had a wonderful sleep. Like the Danish campgrounds with so many amenities, we felt that this accommodation offered comfort and convenience.
Faaborg is a historic market town, charming and well preserved. Faaborg is known for its Art Museum and the town was preparing for an art festival in a few days, so shops and the streets had banners and art works on display.

The weather has greatly improved - it is still overcast - but no rain and no wind! What a difference it makes. We were able to travel further and longer than the previous few days.

Cycle Route 8 along the south coast of Fyn is delightful, both for its setting and for the clear, organized signage. The island we had tried to get to yesterday, Aero, followed us as we cycled alongside it for a while. We felt like Denmark was ours alone to discover as we saw no other cyclists touring the area. We saw a few roadies, but that's all. We rode through farmland, small villages and along the coast, past marinas and fishing ports. The terrain was rolling.

When we arrived in the city of Svendborg, we missed the turn for the bridge which would take us to the island of Tasinge and then on to Langeland. I stopped to ask a woman for directions and her eagerness to help and friendly manner typify what we love about Denmark. Within minutes of chatting, we felt that we had made a friend. We understand the reserve of Danish people as we feel that as Canadians we have the same quality.

Since we have had days recently where we have not been able to ride effortlessly and with joy due to the weather, we decided today to just keep on going. It was such fun to ride along Tasinge, across the long bridge to Langeland and on to Spodsbjerg. We found our campground in the village next to the ferry - we'll head on to Tars tomorrow on the ferry.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry packing our things downs the steps to our bike, getting ready to leave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Faaborg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely old homes in Faaborg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Being a roofer is not an easy job in Denmark.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that looks like a very steep roof!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
A bike taxi with an electric motor.
We find that in Europe it is very common for regular bikes to have motors here - locals always ask us where our motor is - just us!
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a Film Industry here in Faaborg - a Oscar winning film was made here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another reason for riding route 8 out of Faaborg is this bakery - by far the best we have seen (and tried) on our trip. We got buns for our lunch and a cinnamon bun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marianne was most helpful in Svenborg getting us back on the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marianne and her dog, Buster in Svendborg
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back at Svenborg as we start along the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Danish Hot Dogs!
Heart 1 Comment 0
On Tasinge, many of the farmhouses are brick with this pattern over the windows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped at this farm stand and two kittens came running out to greet us. This one was an affection magnet.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAww, such a sweet kitten! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We think it wanted to come with us - it was sure tempting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The other kitten was a bit shy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a nice vegetable stand!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Typical views today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kitten by the road - curious but shy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As you can see, our route runs very close to the shore at this point, and we see Islands that are accessible by ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a group of vintage sailboats that have been sailing along the coast visiting towns in Denmark - we have been keeping pace with two of them today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A lunch break - in Denmark, public toilets with everything you need for no cost and garbage bins are available even in the countryside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ferries to Aero Island
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aeroskobing is a well known town on Aero - one we will visit someday.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 1,960 km (1,217 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0