Eckernforde to Flensburg: Hills, hills and beautiful countryside on our way to Denmark - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2013

Eckernforde to Flensburg: Hills, hills and beautiful countryside on our way to Denmark

Eckernforde is a very popular city as it has a 4 km beach which stretches along the length of the town. The town centre was bustling with people on holidays.

Today began as one of those days when you'd rather stay in bed. We were both tired and did not feel like pushing on....however, we did want to get on our way to Denmark. So, after once again visiting a bike shop to get help with our noisy rear disc brake, we found a bakery to have a coffee and bun and set out.

As fate will have it, the route didn't want us to go either - construction blocked our way and we eventually found a way to detour the construction. For the first part of the day we had to ride on a path beside hwy. 76. This was particularly busy as one of the other freeways is closed, thus diverting all of the traffic here.

The countryside was beautiful today with rolling hills - and this meant that we spent the day riding up and riding down. It was a good workout. We lost count of the number of hills we climbed.

We are staying in a campground outside of Flensburg and are very pleased with the amenities they provide, as well as lots of space for tenters.

As we get closer to Denmark, we are meeting more people from Scandinavia and we notice that the license plates on vehicles are from places other than Germany. The cyclist tenting next to us is from Norway.

Barry bought a chain cleaning tool and chain lubricant at the bike shop this morning. Our bike is so dirty that it is embarrassing. It almost looks like things are growing between the cogs on the chain. Once we got to camp, Barry worked on the bike. By the time he finished, the bike looked amazing and Barry was now covered in bike grease. The bike thanks him.

Our Pension in Rendsburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found this vintage Eischer tractor today. Justus, it needs you!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rolling countryside today
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lovely villages with many homes and barns with reed roofs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are riding in farm country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We travelled many small roads today - we love that even the smallest roads have a pedestrian/bicycle path beside the road. The sharing of the path is never a contentious issue, like it would be at home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Happy Barry....Happy (and clean) Bike
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,776 km (1,103 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0