Flensburg to Kursa Denmark: We're camping in Denmark - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2013

Flensburg to Kursa Denmark: We're camping in Denmark

A short day of riding, but it feels like we have come so much further.

Rain in the night and a cold, stormy morning did little to encourage us to move quickly breaking camp today. Mary Ellen was feeling unwell with cold symptoms and we decided to take an easy morning. Barry did some work on the bike, made a wonderful breakfast and ME got a much appreciated "lie in".

Flensburg was a surprise for us - we were so focused on getting to Denmark, we didn't appreciate that Flensburg was going to offer so much. The harbour is incredible here - a dynamic working harbour, fish sandwich stands (lunch by the water - delicious) and restored historic sailing boats which represent the history of Flensburg as a port/fishing town.

The town centre is a huge pedestrian area which we enjoyed touring with our bike on foot. Needless to say, we spent more time in Flensburg than we had anticipated. Situated on the border with Denmark, we found that Flensburg has a unique quality.

Lacking a detailed map - nothing has been available in any of the bookshops or tourist info places that we have visited - we followed the instructions of the Tourist Office to simply follow the left side of the harbour and we would find ourselves to be in Denmark. We took this to mean, that it would be more imminent than it was. Mary Ellen embarrassed herself by asking in a service station if she was in Denmark or Germany - the girl kindly told her that it was at least 7 km ahead. Since there are no borders between countries in the EU - there are no official signs of where you are. Due to Flensburg's proximity to Denmark, it is also confusing as they sometimes show Danish prices and language on some of their signs.

Anyway, we soldiered on and suddenly found ourselves within a few km of a campsite that we had read about at Kolland. We followed the bike signs and found ourselves on Cycle Route 8 which had a rough gravel surface with very steep climbs. We found ourselves trying to climb the steepest hill we have encountered on this trip and were unable to get any traction, so we wisely turned around. A tip: route 8 in this section should be avoided by heavily loaded bikes. As we cycled back to where we had started route 8, we found a free campsite by the water that looked lovely. There was no fresh water source and we needed more water to camp for the night, so we sadly moved on.

Back on the main road, we carried on in search of a commercial campground at Kursa that we had seen advertised. We were pleasantly surprised by the campground's lovely natural setting and spacious grounds with incredible amenities. The price is the highest that we have had to pay - roughly 25 euros. Nonetheless, "you do get what you pay for" and we feel satisfied that this is a good place for us tonight, We will use the internet here to regroup and do some more research. (Our previous research had described route 8 as being 95% asphalt - I guess we found the 5%!)....so tonight's research will require that we read between the lines as we investigate what route to follow.
The one thing we are sure of, is that we want to get to Copenhagen as well as ride through some of Denmark's countryside.

We'll see where we end up, but so far, Denmark is proving to be an intriguing destination for us to explore.

We so appreciate the generosity of a cyclist who gave us his map of Denmark and the cycling routes. It was a well used and loved map. Mary Ellen is taping it back together again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So much to explore in Denmark - we must focus on a few areas to take advantage of the time we have left before we go back to Holland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This map shows all of the National Cycle Routes as well as the free campsites and some of the commercial ones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is strange to see quads licensed and on the road here - in Canada, these are not allowed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry navigating the trail - a view I don't often see!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our camping place in Flensburg. The weather is now cooler and we are enjoying wearing our merino jerseys from Performance Bicycles in Victoria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A striking statue in Flensburg - dramatic sight set against the interesting architecture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Whimsical art on the side of the building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This quirky ad caught our eye.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, lots of tatoos!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We saw a strong police presence in Flensburg - we suspect that these people are not supporters of the political candidate who is speaking here later today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting sculpture in Flensburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sculpture changes as you look at it from different angles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresh fish sandwiches on the pier in Flensburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had Back Fish and Barry had sweet herring.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Charmaine RuppoltHow was the sweet herring sandwich?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry BartlettTo Charmaine RuppoltHi Charmaine,
The sweet herring sandwich was delicious. Thanks for all great comments.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltTo Barry BartlettThanks for your reply! I am really enjoying your journals of the different countries you visit!! Your riding style is similar to mine - - take your time, take pictures, see the sights and chat with people! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry BartlettIt is great to connect with a like minded traveller. We never know how to respond to competitive cyclists on the road whose interest is solely in the distance...the longest day...how many km per trip? We certainly have a plan, but as you say, we take our time....plus we always stop for animals! Thank goodness Barry and I are compatible with changing plans mid trip or taking days to relax and enjoy where we are.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Smoked herring with pickle slices rolled inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Postal workers in Germany deliver mail by bike.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Restored historic boats - a free museum of the history of navigation and fishing in this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The harbour in Flensburg - a scenic and dynamic port.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Viking Gas Station - Germany or Denmark?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This campsite is one of many free campsites available in Denmark to cyclists and hikers. We reluctantly didn't stay here - but we hope to take advantage of this type of campsite as we travel here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the campground in Kursa Denmark, there are several options for cyclists to eat under cover - this is next to our campsite, so it will be our dining spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry (born on Valentine's Day) was intrigued that when he finished his first Danish beer there was a heart shape on the bottom of his empty glass. A sign? But of what....
Heart 1 Comment 0
Danish beer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first dinner in Denmark - Bartlett spaghetti - yum!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was a bit surreal to come upon this photo shoot when we were riding on a gravel path in the country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The model was so cold - it was a cold, rainy day and the water was not very warm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yeah, we are in Denmark!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,801 km (1,118 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0