Almost to Copenhagen!: An easy route to Copenhagen along highway 151 - it's hard to believe that we're here - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2013

Almost to Copenhagen!: An easy route to Copenhagen along highway 151 - it's hard to believe that we're here

We left the campground eager to make our way to Copenhagen. At Koge, the signage for the route disappeared and we were very lucky to meet cyclists who were participating in a special ride for cancer who told us to simply follow the main road. We are glad that we did as this eliminated many kilometers and it was a direct and flat route.

Our intent was to find the campground at Ishoj, but when we found the hostel, "Danhostel" we decided to treat ourselves and stay here instead. The accomodation is very comfortable - our suite has a sitting area, outside terrace (with storage for our bike) and wonderful facilities in the main building which include a full kitchen.

We met a nice couple from Germany, Andreas and Katja at the campground last night. They have been cycling the Saale River from their home in south east Germany to Denmark. We were pleasantly surprised when they arrived at our door - they are camping here as well and we spent a few hours talking about travelling by bike and the routes that we have taken. They told us that the official route (9) that we didn't do is quite hilly, circuitous and longer than the direct route we took.

We are planning to stay here a few days and take the train in to Copenhagen - it's only about 20 min by train. Unfortunately, the hostel can only accommodate us for 2 nights, so we'll be camping in the back section as well in a few days.

Our new German friends Andreas and Katje
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way to Copenhagen we stopped at a park and happened onto a military reenactment from World World 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The commander was inspecting his troops. It was all in Danish but from the laughter from the crowd, the commander was having fun with his troops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mysteriously, this horn appeared from a paper bag, it was then handed to one of the troops who gave it an off tune toot and the formalities were finished. Not sure what was happening, but it was entertaining.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 2,257 km (1,402 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0