Faxe, Ladeplads to Stroby (South Zealand): Limestone cliffs and stunning scenery - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2013

Faxe, Ladeplads to Stroby (South Zealand): Limestone cliffs and stunning scenery

This stretch of South Zealand offers stunning scenery - dramatic white limestone cliffs, pounding surf, fishing villages and vast rural landscapes.

Limestone cliffs along the east coast of Denmark provide a very dramatic landscape as you cycle along the route. We were lucky to do this area when the skies were blue and the sun was shining.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These cliffs are stunning and can be seen for miles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This limestone quarry is immense.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The edges are very crumbly - we had to keep well back from the sides.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, yea, if you fell down that slippery slope in the quarry, it would be difficult, if not impossible to get out!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

We stopped in Rodvig and spent some time wandering around the fishing piers, admiring the boats and watching surfers tackle the waves.

Rodvig Pier - a working fishing port.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Herring, being admired, by this little girl
Heart 2 Comment 0
These flags are markers for their nets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting harbour of wooden fishing vessels
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Living around fishing boats in Canada, we enjoyed seeing these boats.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We watched this small boat go out into the choppy seas to rescue a pleasure boat and tow it back to the pier.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first glimpse of the limestone cliffs is breathtaking - especially on a day when the sky is blue and wind is adding to the drama. The terrain has become very flat which increases the impact of the wind, yet we found the ride so beautiful that we pushed on and enjoyed the day.

We stopped at Stroby for camping so that we can have an easy day tomorrow as we approach Copenhagen. We hope to camp at a campground south of Copenhagen, stay a few days and take the bus/train into the city. We are really looking forward to spending some time in a city that offers so much history and culture.

Lunch Danish style - delicious
Heart 0 Comment 0
Despite appearances with the sunny blue skies, the wind is howling, the surf of the Baltic Sea is pounding and it is very cold - yet people are swimming....
Heart 0 Comment 0
....and surfing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Rodvig, a flint oven.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We couldn't believe our eyes - a buffalo in Denmark.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Museum documenting the Cold War and Denmark's role and its vulnerable location was very interesting. The museum is very hands on and interactive- we climbed inside tanks, visited the radio room, nothing was off limits.

It is sobering to see first hand the effects of the cold war on Denmark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storage "tent" for missile launchers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stevns Camping in Stroby - our home for the night. This campground gives you a computerized key card to charge you for showers, hot water, cooking, etc. This seems a bit strange to us as this type of billing leaves you in the dark as to what you are spending. When we checked out, we were very pleased as the camping fee is low (120 kroners) for a 3 star campground and their supplemental charges were very reasonable.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,212 km (1,374 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0