Our first visit to Copenhagen: Rain, canals and mysterious buskers - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2013

Our first visit to Copenhagen: Rain, canals and mysterious buskers

We have been offered a suite at the Hostel for as long as we like, so we won't camp after all. It is hard to turn down the comfortable and well equipped accommodation provided at this 5 star Dan Hostel. The main building is beautifully furnished with lovely lounges, there is a super stainless steel kitchen for the guests with ovens, microwaves, toasters, coffee makers, etc. and best of all, the staff here are top notch. Professional and so helpful with our plans to tour the city - we like it here!
As well, our suite has a covered picnic area (good storage for the bike), a sitting area and lots of space. Staying here will let us spend long days touring Copenhagen without having to camp. The hostel is a short 10 min walk to the train station and we're in Copenhangen's centre within 20 minutes. This place is a lucky find.

Unlike Hostels in other countries, Denmark gives a discount if you have an International Hostel Card. We like that. In Germany, we were charged extra due to our age - and in Bavaria, they could refuse us a room if they were busy. Here, we are welcomed and not treated differently because of our age.

We have bought the 72 hour Copenhagen Card which gives us free train/bus/boat travel and free entrance to 75 museums, galleries and attractions.

We are looking forward to taking the train into the city for our first visit - even though the weather is not cooperating. Rain cannot stop us.

Much entertainment and energy on this pedestrian street in central Copenhagen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This pair drew quite a crowd. We stood there for some time trying to figure out how the upper person is supported, but we gave up. Neither person moved the whole time.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Since it was cold and raining, we took the canal cruise which is heated and covered. These sail boats are now live aboard floating homes and not seaworthy. In this picturesque area of Copenhagen, Nyhaven, these boats add to the visual appeal of the area.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Queen is back at her residence in Copenhagen - we recognized her yacht from having seen it last week at anchor off of Bogo Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Her yacht is kept in a protected military area, surrounded by naval ships and behind her yacht is a submarine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This crane is used for bungy jumping - and it's free if you do it nude.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOMG - do the bungy jumping in the nude??!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Copenhagen's iconic image, The Little Mermaid statue by the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Marble Church near the royal residences.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are thousands of bikes along the streets of Copenhagen, but these are unique as they have been pulled from the sea. They are covered in kelp, barnacles and held together with rust.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Round Tower is a must see in Copenhagen. It dates back to th 13th century and was built with no steps - rather a winding circular cobbled path to the top. This enabled horses to go up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltI walked up the Round Tower while in Copenhagen for a week - it was a great city! :) :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry BartlettCopenhagen is a great city. I first went to Copenhagen in 1970. I was on a cycling trip with my parents.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
This medal is for the winner of the Penny Farthing race up to the top of the tower. We couldn't imagine doing it on a regular bike. It is very steep and the surface is quite uneven.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's wild they have a Penny Farthing race up to the top of the Round Tower!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Wonderful views from the top. It is a lovely thing that Copenhagen has not allowed any modern buildings or skyscrapers to take over the vista. The history of the city is still visible for as far as you can see (not so far today as the weather was not so good).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rain cannot deter West Coast Canadians - and as the Danes keep reminding us -"There is no bad weather, only the wrong clothes!"
Heart 1 Comment 0
Making our way down.....there is one steep flight of stairs at the very top - otherwise it is all ramp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An important sign at the lookout of the tower - don't put your head through the rails!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHa - I'm sure many people have gotten their head stuck in the rails!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0