A spectacular day of riding along the Rhine: Rhens Brey to Rheingauer - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2013

A spectacular day of riding along the Rhine: Rhens Brey to Rheingauer

Today was a perfect day of riding - a wonderful paved cycle path undulating along the Rhine. We saw so many picturesque castles, fortresses and ruins along the way. The towns were well preserved and historic and they cried out to us to stop and take our time. We stopped often and enjoyed the day....spectacular scenery and ideal weather. We were surprised that we seemed to be downhill most of the day - and that is always a joy.
It was a bit of a rude shock to get off the ferry in Rudeheim to experience impatient car drivers. We have not experienced this before in Germany, so we had to be on our toes. Soon, however, the bike path resumed and we were able to carry on in peaceful seclusion by the Rhine. We were happy to find Rheingau Camping, just beyond Rudeheim, with tent sites along the river. This campground is well run with great facilities and FAST internet. It has been a number of days since we have been able to access internet, so we have lots to do.

Camping Sonneneck south of Rhens Brey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite at Camping Sonneneck - vineyards behind....
Heart 1 Comment 0
....and the river is our view at the front.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were short on supplies so we had breakfast at the campground restaurant - eggs, buns, cheese, meat and coffee....and what a spectacular view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vineyards along the route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tunnel for the train with a lookout tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rhine is an important waterway - shipping traffic, river cruise ships, vineyards, historic villages, castles and fortresses. No wonder this section is designated a Unesco Heritage site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lunch stop along the Rhine - meat and cheese sandwiches we made from our huge German breakfast at the campground,
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Warring Brothers: castles of Liebenstein and Sterrenburg perched above Kamp-Bornhoffen. They have been nicknamed "Warring" because of how their front battlements face each other - dating from the 12th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Liebenstein Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sterrenburg Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This store in St. Goar is filled with hundreds of cuckoo clocks - and according to them, this is the largest cuckoo clock in the world.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Also in St. Goar, this shop is filled with countless beersteins - decorative and functional.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cuckoo clock shop was underwater during the spring flood of 2013.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More pictures of the flood this past spring - note the same spot as it looks today in the next photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They have worked hard to clean up after the flood - it looks good today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Burg Rhenfels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town centre of St. Goar with the castle, Burg Rhenfels looking over the town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
These painted buildings bring back lovely memories of Bavaria last year. We really enjoy seeing this traditional type of decorating and advertising.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This castle is unique as it is in the middle of the Rhine on a small island:
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Burg (Castle) Stahleck above the town of Bacharach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Rhine on the ferry - we have been riding along the Rhine for weeks and this is the first time that we have been "on" the Rhine: Bingen to Rudesheim. We feel a bit disoriented as we have been on the West side of the river up until now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The busy auto fahre (ferry) from Bingen to Rudesheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came around the corner and were surprised to see this hot air balloon trying to lift off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...it's a bit of a struggle
Heart 0 Comment 0
....and they're off!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 939 km (583 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0