Farewell to the Lahn River Route: The Rhine in Flames annual festival - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2013

Farewell to the Lahn River Route: The Rhine in Flames annual festival

Breakfast at our hotel in Bad Ems - Barry always looks happiest with a fresh cup of coffee.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bad Ems - such a pretty town with much historical significance - for its therapeutic mineral water, plus it is here that the Franco Prussian war got its start.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel was a Bike and Bett hotel - always willing to provide safe storage for our bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Burg Lahnstein
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oops, a navigation problem - and we know who the navigator is - the stoker! We were almost to the bridge that crosses the Rhine to begin our ride south....and we came to this barricade. We had missed the turn to bypass this area! And the frustrating thing is, beyond the fence we could see our path - we would need to backtrack a number of kilometers. I'm thinking that we may need a refreshment stop at the Koblenzer brewery that we can see across the river!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Koblenzer Brewery - the local in Koblenz. We had seen this from across the Rhine River as we made our way from the Lahn River - it was hot and merited a stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stop at the Koblenzer Brewery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the dozens of boats making their way to a point just beyond our campground. They clustered there until dusk and then made their way as a group along the river to Koblenz. There was music, lights as well as fireworks along the shore to add to the excitement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at our campground - Schnitzel with mushroom sauce - our first schnitzel of the trip. Delicious!
Having dinner here gave us a perfect vantage point for watching the festivities on the water for Rhein in Flammen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Villages along this stretch of the Rhine covered their lights in red paper to add to the effect.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 877 km (545 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0